Rumor is No Assassin's Creed Game in 2016

Guest_Jim_*

Rumors can be a lot of fun, but as always, remember they are rumors and thus might not be true to any degree. A new rumor has appeared recently about the Assassin's Creed franchise coming from someone claiming to be an Ubisoft developer. According to the claims, the next entry in the franchise is going to be set in Ancient Egypt, is being developed by the team behind Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and is not going to be released on the yearly schedule. Ever since Assassin's Creed II the franchise has been receiving new titles annually and this pause is supposed to allow for a "complete revamp of the series." Considering the stated time period predates the Assassins and Templars and allows for greater freedom with the history, such a revamp should hopefully be possible.

The supposed-developer shares quite a lot of information actually, though no definite proof of any connection to Ubisoft is provided (they just say to screencap their comments and look back at them when Assassin's Creed is missing at E3 2016). This includes a desire by the developers to try for a "Witcher feel" for progression and freeform combat, the main character will be a slave or ex-slave, only animations might be recycled from previous games, and that online co-op has been cut from the series for now. Also the supposed-developer claims that only programmers and technical directors have console devkits, with everyone else on PC with an average spec of an Intel i7, 64 GB RAM, and a GTX 670. "The rest work on PC since the ports to consoles are so easy with the new gen."

As someone who has played and reviewed every main Assassin's Creed game I want to share my opinion and admit I hope this rumor is true. A complete revamp with the time necessary to create it, could significantly improve the health of this franchise. Of course this is just a rumor and could be completely false, but only time will tell.

Source: NeoGAF

Back to original news post