How To Fix Error 80240020 From Windows 10 Update Process

Guest_Jim_*

@gebraset, did you try that Media Creation Tool?

No, I didn't try it because from my understanding, my 8.1 key won't work on a fresh install of Windows 10. From the information I have gathered, the 8.1 key is "converted" into a new Windows 10 key when you upgrade, and only after you upgrade can you perform a clean install of 10 on that machine.

Unless I'm mistaken? :O

All the tool will do is begin downloading Windows 10 for you without going through the Windows Update screen. In order to do the upgrade, you do need either Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 installed on your computer, and then the upgrade begins. It's no different than upgrading any other version of Windows for the in-place upgrade. Your hardware is registered with Microsoft and that serves as your key, so to speak, when you do the upgrade versus installing it from an OEM/retail disc.

@gebraset, did you try that Media Creation Tool?

No, I didn't try it because from my understanding, my 8.1 key won't work on a fresh install of Windows 10. From the information I have gathered, the 8.1 key is "converted" into a new Windows 10 key when you upgrade, and only after you upgrade can you perform a clean install of 10 on that machine.

Unless I'm mistaken? :O

All the tool will do is begin downloading Windows 10 for you without going through the Windows Update screen. In order to do the upgrade, you do need either Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 installed on your computer, and then the upgrade begins. It's no different than upgrading any other version of Windows for the in-place upgrade. Your hardware is registered with Microsoft and that serves as your key, so to speak, when you do the upgrade versus installing it from an OEM/retail disc.

Good stuff, I may have to try this. In the end, I want to do a clean install, but that'll be a bit down the line. As of now, I'm just wanting to upgrade, lol. :P So I'll look into this a bit more and see if it's something that'll work for me. Even if it doesn't work immediately, at least I won't have to keep downloading the 2.7GB over and over again.

I had the Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Evaluation copy.

I just burnt a a copy.

Loaded up the disc. (I tried the usb. But it failed.) Fallowed the instructions.

And now I have Windows 10 Pro. :cheers: