XSPC RayStorm Kits, Worth my time?

m2geek

If you have a couple spare 5.25" drive bays it's hard to beat a bay reservoir.  They are easy to install and you don't have to figure out where or how you're going to squeeze a reservoir into your case somewhere else.  The XSPC integrated single and dual pump models also make it easy to deal with the pump.  My main complaints with bay reservoirs are;

They can be hard to bleed

You need to leave a little extra tubing so you can slide the reservoir out far enough for filling, refilling, draining, maintenance

As for the coolant, plain distilled water is the most efficient but you have to implement a solution for keeping the coolant algae and muck free.  Many folks use silver KillCoils, however I've been perfectly content with PrimoChill Ice.  I mix it in a 80/20 solution with distilled water and my loop only requires maintenance about once a year.

yeah do a leak test by jumping the psu instead of powering it normally . that way if something leaks you won't ruin everything .

second, I usally say unless you cooling a video card or two a custom loop isn't worth the money since it's about $300 starting price and you can get nearly the same temps with a 240mm closed loop like a corsair h100i which is $100. Of course a custom loop is going to be better , but $200 more ? I don't think so .

I think he's going for more of a WOW not more of a POW.  :whistling:

It's a nice kit, but as he said, you'd be better off buying a H100i if you're just cooling your CPU.

Custom loops, unless you're looking to add LED/UV effects to the lines and reservoir, are pointless on a CPU only liquid cooling solution... that is... unless you're going with a 360 rad or a really MONSTER thick Radiator.  :evilgrin:

yeah do a leak test by jumping the psu instead of powering it normally . that way if something leaks you won't ruin everything .

second, I usally say unless you cooling a video card or two a custom loop isn't worth the money since it's about $300 starting price and you can get nearly the same temps with a 240mm closed loop like a corsair h100i which is $100. Of course a custom loop is going to be better , but $200 more ? I don't think so .

I think he's going for more of a WOW not more of a POW.  :whistling:

It's a nice kit, but as he said, you'd be better off buying a H100i if you're just cooling your CPU.

Custom loops, unless you're looking to add LED/UV effects to the lines and reservoir, are pointless on a CPU only liquid cooling solution... that is... unless you're going with a 360 rad or a really MONSTER thick Radiator.  :evilgrin:

I will be watercooling my GTX780 once its out of Warranty :)

At the moment my prolimatech megahalems black is doing a fantastic job - temps don't go over 50oC