GIGABIT PORTS

Busterbvi

Greetings.

I'm just finishing up building my new Man Cave.  I have consolidated my gaming PC into my new home theater system and everything is displayed by a BenQ W1070 projector giving me a nice 100 inch screen.  All is working well but now I want to connect up the networking side of things. Here's my plan.  Because of the room layout I will need to run a 25ft Cat 6 Ethernet cable from the point of entry modem and WiFi router to a Netgear GS105 switch. Then run short cables from the switch to the nearby PC, Amp / Receiver,  BD player and TV set top box.

The Amp is a Yamaha RX-V673 and the BD player is a Yamaha BD-S673 both capable of 3D. All components are native 1080p. The PC MOBO is a XFX790i Ultra which has 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports.  The Netgear switch also supports Gigabit.  I have checked the technical data for the Yamaha stuff but no mention of Gigabit support on the Networking

outlet ports.  I don't know much about Networking stuff so this may be a daft question but should I be concerned about Gigabit support in my new equipment ?

I want to make sure I have the fastest possible download capability as I stream Internet live HDTV from the UK to the Virgin Islands.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks, Buster.

Edited by Busterbvi

If the primary use is live streaming then 100Mbps vs 1000Mbps is moot unless your incoming link is > 100Mbps. If you will be doing a lot of device to device file transfers or streaming from a local LAN media server then gigabit would certainly be recommended.

Nerm thanks for the swift reply.  I know Jack s..t about networking, can you elaborate on that a bit !!?

The ISP here in the Islands is pretty naff to say the least but we are looking forward to a new company providing much better service early next year.

I pay $75 p/m for a 1 meg package !!!!!!