help with video card

IamLost

Hey so i am confused as hell having not bought a computer in forever. I am going to start doing video editing / gaming and use either Adobe premier pro cs6 or sony vegas pro 12. My main concern is what graphics card or processor should i get.

this is what ive come up with so far, i am not sure if i need a better video card cause stupid adobe has a limited list and none of the ones at this site are on it. so maybe it anything i want to know if its good enough for sony vegas. cause the video card reviews are so back and forith, some say overheating some say dont run their games.

thank you for any help.

http://www.ibuypower...pecial/w/191014

Processor 1 x Intel

on first sight it is a decent computer and moderately equipped for video editing, if you are doing it for a professional level then i would suggest an nvidia quadro series, those cards are made for rendering video's, not so for gaming tho. if it is for a mere hobby basis and for stuff like youtube etc, this set-up would do just fine although i think the cooling unit for the 4770 is a bit of an overkill :P

if anything, i would heavily suggest a 4770K edition, this version can overclock and the one you have there doesnt oc that well compaired to the K series.

dont skimp on the psu as well, what do you define as ''standard''?

get an ocz 600W or something in that line to assure your system stability and safety.

Edited by WarWeeny

The i7 is a very capable processor.  You might be able to settle for less (ie an i5), but that's up to you.

Most professional software's maintain a list of supported workstation GPU's.  Workstation GPU's are essentially the same as their related gaming GPU's, with the exception of better hardware and driver support.  Workstation GPU drivers are optimized for accuracy while gaming GPU's are optimized for framerate.  For industry professionals, a workstation GPU might be necessary,  For most everyone else where accuracy is not nearly as much of a concern, a decent gaming GPU should suffice (much more affordable option, and allows you to game with significantly better framerates).

I believe the most time intensive task (in relation to hardware, not user performance) when it comes to video editting is rendering.  For that, especially for software like Sony Vegas Pro that support it, GPU compute performance is important.  From benchmarks, it appears that AMD's HD 7000 series (ie HD 7970) does better than nVidia's comparable 700 series: http://anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/588

on first sight it is a decent computer and moderately equipped for video editing, if you are doing it for a professional level then i would suggest an nvidia quadro series, those cards are made for rendering video's, not so for gaming tho. if it is for a mere hobby basis and for stuff like youtube etc, this set-up would do just fine although i think the cooling unit for the 4770 is a bit of an overkill :P

i am hobby/ semi pro. i am going to be doing wedding videography. but i do want to game also. so u say that quadro really wont work for gaming?

I believe the most time intensive task (in relation to hardware, not user performance) when it comes to video editting is rendering.  For that, especially for software like Sony Vegas Pro that support it, GPU compute performance is important.  From benchmarks, it appears that AMD's HD 7000 series (ie HD 7970) does better than nVidia's comparable 700 series: http://anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/588

i have always been a nvidia guy, amd are a lot cheaper price wise, but are they even that good?

I've owned both brands and have no preference between them.

I haven't read much into the GTX 700-series, but from what I've read, the GPU calculation performance of the 600-series was relatively poor in comparison to the AMD HD 7000 series.  Whether or not this holds true for the newer GTX 700-series requires more research.  In my previous post, I had posted AnandTech's Sony Vegas Pro 12 Video Render benchmark.  Assuming the numbers are in seconds, the GTX 780 took 43 seconds, the HD 7770 took 40 seconds, and the HD 7970 took 26 seconds.  In terms of gaming, the HD 7970 is a very capable card with the lack of physx support.

i am hobby/ semi pro. i am going to be doing wedding videography. but i do want to game also. so u say that quadro really wont work for gaming?

quadro's aren't that great for gaming yes, if what kiro says is true then you could go for an 7970 and get your gaming/rendering fix from that.

but you haven't answered my question of the psu you will be using, what do you define as ''standard''?

the AMD Radeon HD 7850 is what i am looking at now, it doesnt cost as much but is still near the top of bench marking and also listeded for adobe premiere pro.

people seem to review it online as working well with their gaming also.

earlier u said i could go i5 processor over i7.  i5-4670K vs i7-4770k would make much of a difference? also not sure if ram would be more important like go with 16gb over 8gb.

thanks for your responses you have helped a lot so far.

this is all ibuypower says abt the 600w unit 

Type ATX Fans 1 x 120mm fan PFC Passive Crossfire Ready SLI Certified Modular No Efficiency > 80% Dimension (L x W x H) 5.5" x 6.0" x 3.3" Connectors 1x Main connector
1x 8(4 + 4Pin) CPU
4x peripheral
3x SATA
2x Floppy
2x PCI-E(8Pin)

The amount of RAM you need is project dependent.  That said, having more is generally better than having less so that you have it when you need it.

Looking at the specs of the i5-4670k and i7-4770 back-to-back... I stand corrected.  It appears that the i5-4670k does not have hyperthreading (thought it did), so the i7-4770 would be the better choice with double the threads.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75048

http://ark.intel.com/products/75122

I believe the PSU should be okay in terms of wattage, but the thing about PSU's is that the brand and model are very important.  Some do not have a history of reliability and can actually ruin other components when they fail.  I'd do some research on the ones listed with more information (ie brand/model) to see which has good reviews.