LAN broken?

Pulseeey

Hello,

Recently my PSU blown and since then, my cases front panel USB ports don't function and my ethernet port has been going down ever since.

A guy in a shop said the USB 2.0 and ethernet is controlled by a southbridge chip that could be damaged or something.

Anyway, my ethernet port keeps disconnecting and reconnecting  almost so it isn't usable, this isn't an NIC card, I am using the onboard solution which has been working great until the PSU blow.

The port will also not detect any cable unless I switch it to 10Mbps any duplex and I have tried disabling the energy saving garbage for the connecting issue, also it does stop disconnecting and reconnecting when I keep trying to use it, but this does take a while and does it again once PC is rebooted.

I have tried the ethernet on a new O.S and it still locks at 10 BUT the disconnecting and reconnecting issue was not present when I did this so I have not tried it, could this be an issue getting worse as I keep trying it? I have refrained from buying a NIC card because if it is this chip or my MOBO itself, I am best paying for a new MOBO.

MOBO is ASUS M5A78L-M/USB, please bare in mind this was fine before PSU incident so don't tell me it's because it is Realtek or ASUS, because it isn't.

I have tried my ethernet setup on a laptop and I get my full speed without any connecting issues or speed caps.

How could a PSU blow just blow these 2 things? Is it because life is stupid and knows these 2 things can be important?

Well like someone at the shop said - those chips are run off of the southbridge. If it was damaged it would result in wonky network, sound, and/or SATA behavior.

Well like someone at the shop said - those chips are run off of the southbridge. If it was damaged it would result in wonky network, sound, and/or SATA behavior.

So they are actually ran off this chip thing? since the guy in the shop does talk out of his back side sometimes.

Sound is fine, HDD doesn't appear to be slower, if anything, faster. O_o

Just network and front USB ports.

i'll change the mobo to avoid more damages with the entire system.

we can't tell atm what's the extent of the damage with the blown PSU, there might be something else just lurking to strike you next...who knows.