noob gamer build

nsplayer

Well I thought I knew a little bit about computers until I started to look at the differnt builds. Wow I don't know crap. AMD vs intel, I hear amd is cheaper but consumes way more power. Then I thought I wouls start at cases and power supplies. Mid tower as its not a top end gammer rig I need. Just plan on playing wow and swtor so I figure a 750 W power supply would do. I also hear that 1 graphics card will do good enough rather than trying to run sli/crosfire. I would like to play these games on high resolution so I turn here for help. These links is what I ws looking at to start with and go from there until I decide AMD or intel. Not sure what video card will do but was thing of Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 1000MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card but not sure I need one that good. Looking for some help as I would like this to be upgradable but hopefully not for a couple of years anyway. I am always looking to save some money but will get what I need so budget is not unlimited but would like to keep it reasonable, under 2k would be nice.

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950AC9361

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=27130AC8766

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=16950BD2665&vpn=11199-00-20G&manufacture=SAPPHIRE

Thanks and looking for some helpful response. I live in Canada so US shipping is quite reasonable but I find newegg kinda high on some pieces compared to other shops.

Edited by nsplayer

Hey,

Well I'll start by saying for under 2k you've got quite a bit of leg room for a system build.

This is what I'd get if I had $2k to burn on a system, gonna primarily use canadacomputers.com (but if you not in the toronto area then just use ncix/newegg.ca)

CPU: Intel i5-3570K 3.4Ghz - $229

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - $140

Video Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 670 - $390

Ram: G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1800 Kit - $45

Case: CoolerMaster CM690 II USB3.0 - $100

PSU: Corsair HX850M - $170

SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB - $110

HDD: Basically any high storage 1-2TB drive based on your needs

TOTAL: $1190 + HDD

Notes:

Motherboard: Note I'm just partial to gigabyte, you can go with an asus/msi board if you like, I've just always had the best luck with gigabyte your mileage may vary!

Video Card: This is complete and utter overkill for something like wow / swtor, you'd probably be better off with a 660ti or 7950 and save the cash**

Thanks for your time and effort to help me pick a setup. It is greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if you mean the mobo you picked will be better in the long run than the other but going to order soon. Was looking at ordering everything next week , just waiting to check pricing in a few places first.

Not on Toronto area ,Nova Scotia to be specific.

About the mobo, I just meant if you don't like gigabyte either a asus/msi board would be just as good. I just have very good luck with gigabyte boards personally. Also for the case, that's completely up to you, I've just used that one a bunch of times and its been great.

I also forgot to mention a Heatsink, I'd suggest a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, if your doing some light OC'ing. You can even grab 2x Scythe "Gentle Typhoon" 120mm Fans to put on the Heatsink. If your doing more intense stuff, maybe look into a Corsair H100 or Noctua NH-D14.

Thanks for your time and effort to help me pick a setup. It is greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if you mean the mobo you picked will be better in the long run than the other but going to order soon. Was looking at ordering everything next week , just waiting to check pricing in a few places first.

Not on Toronto area ,Nova Scotia to be specific.

If you want some decent prices on your parts look at tiger direct.ca or new egg.ca, I'm from NS also and you will get your parts in about 5 days. Menory express out of Alberta is also quite good on prices. Good luck on your build. :biggrin: