Prime95/IBT reliable?

junkerde

4.2 should be near effortless...something is amiss with your settings I think. I'm not terribly familiar with Asus boards though...maybe someone else can chime in on that?

A couple things jumped right out at me;

1. OP is running miss-matched ram - different speeds and different timings w/ no indication he has manually adjusted the BIOS settings to compensate

2. Never assume that because you're gpu overclocked to a certain speed on one motherboard/cpu combination that it will do the same on a different motherboard/cpu combination - I've seen this first hand on the move from socket 1366 to socket 1155

3. There shouldn't be any reason that the OP can't hit 4.2 fairly easily and leave energy savings features turned on

4. As someone already mentioned - knowing info on the power supply would be helpful

5. No indication that OP has ran Memtest to confirm memory stability before pushing on with his overclocks (yes I know that Prime95 / IBT / OCC etc. can test the memory too) but I always start out with Memtest at stock clocks before I even proceed to the OS install on a custom build.

6. OCCT can find instability when Prime95 or IBT will not (and visa-versa)

OP - It would be good if you could post up a complete list of all your BIOS settings as found in the AI Tweaker section of your BIOS

OP - It would be good if you could post up a complete list of all your BIOS settings as found in the AI Tweaker section of your BIOS

Alright, i haven't even touched the tunings on my memory, could that be the problem? also my power supply is a xigmatek NRP-PC602 (http://www.xigmatek.com/product.php?productid=38). the memory settings are all on default. Anyway yesterday I redid prime 95 on my 4ghz overclock (I didn't config my memory though like you said) with a voltage of 1.18v for about 16 hours no no errors. I redid it this morning for about 3 hours just to make sure and sure enough it never passed 70 degrees, the max temperature was 67. here are 2 photos, one with prime 95 going and one idle:

2ztki7s.jpg

2u5ulwi.jpg

I mean this is PERFECT for 4ghz, i just don't know why I can't get to 4.2ghz so easily.......I'll post up some bios screens soon, though only for my 4.0ghz overclock because 4.2ghz for me is unstable! 200mhz does so much, it literally kills the shockwave plugin while browsing on the internet and kills my ATI catalyst from launching.....also I noticed when booting up on Balanced Power Mode on windows, the clock speed automatically jumps to the overclock rate i choose with the voltage VERY LOW! the voltage isn't going up when this happens.

it might also be why i cant get to 4.2ghz on startup with everything crashing, because it will say im at 4200mhz on CPUZ with a voltage of .08v-1.0v at startup and maybe it can't handle that. Then of course about 30 seconds later the clock speeds dip down because of the speedstepping and the voltage remains low until it clocks up, but again when it is clocked up at startup the voltage is not increased at all!

Edited by junkerde

57d45494120087a20d2f_1.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_2.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_3.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_4.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_5.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_6.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_7.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_8.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_9.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_10.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_11.jpg 57d45494120087a20d2f_12.jpg

those are my settings, not too sure how to configure my memory........

and I changed my gpu overclock with my HIS 4670 down to 800 core, and 1100 mem (used to be 840core and 1140 mem)

Edited by junkerde

Looks like your timings are set at 9-9-9-24 which is probibly fine (the 1600 ram is 9-9-9-28) if your running the speed at 1333, though I can't tell for sure from the screen shots if thats what your running.. There's several different flavors(as far as timings) of the geil 1333 ram though all of it looks like it's 1.5v. running different speed ram can make it difficult to oc, general rule of thumb is to down clock to the slowest speed.

edit, oops, just saw it, looks like your running at 1333

It's unlikely that the XMP profile is going to work since you have two different types of RAM. Your BIOS won't know which XMP profile is should be using. As far as RAM goes, use the timings, speed and voltage of the slowest module that you have as a starting point.

Scrolling through your BIOS pics I would make the following changes;

1. Manually set your four primary memory timings, memory speed and dram voltage to specs shown for your slowest memory module (as already noted before).... right now they are all on auto

2. Set CPU Core Ratios 1 - 4 to "42"

3. Change offset from - 0.055 to to + 0.150

4. For now leave CPU Load Line Calibration at "medium", but if you continue to have problems change this value to "high"

5. If it isn't mentioned above leave everything else where it's at right now (pretty much "auto")

Scrolling through your BIOS pics I would make the following changes;

1. Manually set your four primary memory timings, memory speed and dram voltage to specs shown for your slowest memory module (as already noted before).... right now they are all on auto

2. Set CPU Core Ratios 1 - 4 to "42"

3. Change offset from - 0.055 to to + 0.150

4. For now leave CPU Load Line Calibration at "medium", but if you continue to have problems change this value to "high"

5. If it isn't mentioned above leave everything else where it's at right now (pretty much "auto")

Yeah i tried that, and it's insane. this time my AMD catalyst was working on startup and nothing crashed but i reached near 1.4v with the positive offset with max temps at 80 degrees celsius. me having to increase by .3v just to get 200mhz more overclock seems excessive.

So i went back to a negative offset and it pretty much BSOD on me right away.changed load line to high but temperature and voltage is off the roof! I changed profile to xmp and changed the last timing to fit the slowest memory stick with the 4.2ghz overclock, but again the overclock itself was too high on voltage and heat, but since the timing worked fine on auto with 4.0ghz I put it back to auto.

So here I am, back perfectly stable on 4.0ghz, but can't get 200mhz overclock for the life of me without the computer crashing. :cry:

here's a picture with your settings used, it's too insane for a 200mhz increase, and note i only did a few seconds of prime 95, i immediately stopped the tests:

2dukad.jpg

Edited by junkerde

That's is really strange that LLC is adding so much voltage to your SVID. You're right about the volts and temps - that is way out of line.

I guess if I were you I'd disable LLC altogether and give it an offset voltage of + .050 and go from there. In order to reduce temps you could probably reduce your PLL voltage a little bit from stock. That usually helps with temps and in most cases won't affect stability except at super high overclocks.

On the subject of memory - I really can't stress enough how important it is to manually input the four primary timings, voltage and speed of your memory. The safest bet is to stay conservative and use the specs from the slowest memory module that you have. I know that it has been said before, but you don't really know if your memory and memory subsystem are stable unless you've run Memtest, Prime or OCCT using the settings that stress the memory the most.

That's is really strange that LLC is adding so much voltage to your SVID. You're right about the volts and temps - that is way out of line.

I guess if I were you I'd disable LLC altogether and give it an offset voltage of + .050 and go from there. In order to reduce temps you could probably reduce your PLL voltage a little bit from stock. That usually helps with temps and in most cases won't affect stability except at super high overclocks.

On the subject of memory - I really can't stress enough how important it is to manually input the four primary timings, voltage and speed of your memory. The safest bet is to stay conservative and use the specs from the slowest memory module that you have. I know that it has been said before, but you don't really know if your memory and memory subsystem are stable unless you've run Memtest, Prime or OCCT using the settings that stress the memory the most.

I finally figured out the problem. Apparently manually setting my ddr3 speed to 1333 was the culprit. I needed my 1600 ram to run at my slower sticks so I thought manual was the way to do it. Turns out I had to set it on auto for my computer not to have apps crash (such as the amd catalyst as I was describing) on startup with a 4.2ghz overclock. Did a Stress level very high run test on IBT for 20 times, it passed all 20. Now I'm going to run prime 95 for 15 hours+ to see stabibility. Temps for Prim95 reaching 70max, for IBT 80 max, I just hope those arent bad temps, I might even try 4.4 next or lowering my voltage (it needs 1.22v to get to 4.2ghz.........which is uncommon for most people, usually it's lower).

edit: Alas 4.2ghz is the highest it can go without the temps going too high, but now I'm satisfied I got the extra 200mhz overclock out of this chip.

Edited by junkerde