My first build. Is it good?

redrum201

Thank you everyone who has replied with detailed and very helpful information! :)

To Angel: You saying my budget is high or low? Not quite sure where you're getting at haha I will take a look at the components tho, thanks :)

Edit: The 64bit Windows 7 link doesn't work.

It is was low until I realize I double counted the OS in the cost. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: My bad

I now recommend that you switch the mobo to the asrock extreme 4 z77 mobo and get a second AMD 7770 for SLI and a vertex 4 SSD.

That would still break your budget a little but it would be a much faster system.

It is was low until I realize I double counted the OS in the cost. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: My bad

I now recommend that you switch the mobo to the asrock extreme 4 z77 mobo and get a second AMD 7770 for SLI and a vertex 4 SSD.

That would still break your budget a little but it would be a much faster system.

If it's his first build, I would not recommend messing with Crossfire yet. Depending on how much extra is left over from the rest of the system, I would go with one of these or one of these.

Well crossfire has gotten a lot easier with the 7000 series cards though. You are actually the second person who has told me to avoid recommending crossfire, yet when I put both my 7770s in crossfire I followed an online guide and in 10 minutes I had everything working.

For new builders, crossfire is a lot easier because you don't have to go through the pain of having to unistall the old drivers.

Plus, the GTX 570 should probably be running on a 600watt PSU rather than a 500 watt one. The two amd 7770s should fit right into a 500 watt PSU.

Well crossfire has gotten a lot easier with the 7000 series cards though. You are actually the second person who has told me to avoid recommending crossfire, yet when I put both my 7770s in crossfire I followed an online guide and in 10 minutes I had everything working.

For new builders, crossfire is a lot easier because you don't have to go through the pain of having to unistall the old drivers.

Plus, the GTX 570 should probably be running on a 600watt PSU rather than a 500 watt one. The two amd 7770s should fit right into a 500 watt PSU.

Wow I can't believe both cards would run on a 500watt PSU. However, I personally would still go with Nvidia, and that's why I recommended PSUs that were over 600watts. I just like the extra added goodies that come with an Nvidia card.

Wow I can't believe both cards would run on a 500watt PSU. However, I personally would still go with Nvidia, and that's why I recommended PSUs that were over 600watts. I just like the extra added goodies that come with an Nvidia card.

In this situation the Nvidia vs AMD argument is irrelevant since the OP is not doing a multi monitor display or 3D. Right now, the best way for the OP to get the highest FPS count he can while still affording an SSD is by putting two 7770s in crossfire.

In this situation the Nvidia vs AMD argument is irrelevant since the OP is not doing a multi monitor display or 3D. Right now, the best way for the OP to get the highest FPS count he can while still affording an SSD is by putting two 7770s in crossfire.

If that is what matter to the OP, then I agree. I just hesitate to trust AMD's drivers, especially in multi-card setups.

If that is what matter to the OP, then I agree. I just hesitate to trust AMD's drivers, especially in multi-card setups.

I can tell you from personal experience that they are wayyyyyyyyy better. I have several ATI cards, and just the progression from ATi to AMD had a huge impact and then the 7000 series jump produced some really stable drivers especially for the 77xx series cards and even the 78xx cards.

Crossfire only becomes difficult when you are trying to enable crossfire within the OS. If you do a fresh install, or new build in this case, you are fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm very good suggestions so far. What Angel was saying was for a gaming pc with your budget you should make a whole new list of components instead of sticking with your current list of parts.

You know if you want to cram more stuff into your build you could always get a cheaper copy of windows 7. If your a student I know there are certain places where you can buy Win 7 for a lower price. Getting windows 7 for free isn't to hard either. Look around maybe you can find a deal.

If the OP lives in the UK and is a student, or knows someone who is, you can get Windows 7 Pro x64 for £30 from www.softwareforstudents.co.uk