I7-3960x 2nd Gen New Build,Cooler Question?

-----System Specs-----

Case - Cooler Master HAF 912

Motherboard - ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011

Processor - I7-3960X LGA 2011 "Once most games start utilizing all 6 Cores, :)"

Video Card - GTX 470

Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO + Extra Fan

Power Supply - PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB - 4x2GB 1600Mhz Quad Channel

HDD - WD20EARS 2TB + WD3200YS 320GB

DVD Burner - ASUS DRW-22B1ST

I just installed the extra fan on the CM Hyper 212 Evo LGA 2011 Version, Inside the case there's a 120mm Fan in the fron Pulling air in, then in the middle the CM 212 Fans both Push air towards the back, and about 4in from the Cooler, the 120mm fan on the back exhaust's air out.

Does that configuration sound right? The top supports 2 120mm Fans or 1 200mm fan which I don't have installed right now, just the Front/Rear/ and 2 On CM Hyper 212 going In from the front and exhausting out the back.

Here's an image of using OCCT with "ALL Logical Cores" and Test mode "Small Data Set", small data set, said was best for generating heat, so how's it all look.

IT IS NOT OVERCLOCKED - Set at stock 3.3, but CPU-Z shows Bus Speed of 100 with X36 Multiplier, I thought it was just using Turbo Boost but it looks like OCCT is doing a 9.1% Overclock while running stress test.

occtsmalldataset24min.png

Get a 200mm and blow air in through the top, so its an intake.

No! The top of the case should almost always be an exhaust (my one exception is with water cooling). Putting an intake at the top just fights with physics and tends to screw with the airflow through the case.

OP - as long as there is thermal and power headroom Turbo Clock tends to overclock even with all cores loaded. My 2600K at stock will run all 4 cores at 3.5 Ghz even in Intel Burn Test as long as I keep it cool. Your temps look great to me! If you can find a pair of 120mm fans or a 200mm fan for cheap putting it in as an exhaust on the top of the case should drop your temps throughout your case by a couple degrees.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could reverse the heat sink AND rear fan so that rear exhaust fan becomes an intake and gets as much fresh air to your heat sink as possible. Again though, you want to have your top as exhaust.

That sort of a setup might save you a couple degrees.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could reverse the heat sink AND rear fan so that rear exhaust fan becomes an intake and gets as much fresh air to your heat sink as possible. Again though, you want to have your top as exhaust.

That sort of a setup might save you a couple degrees.

Ya the setup I have now, those temps are pretty good I think, And if you guys remember the review I showed ya with the guy using my same processor and cooler Overclocked to 4.5 and temps didn't go over 68, but It's a miracle, that someone as poor as me, has a system like this now, and I just emailed a guy on craigslist that is selling a CT128M4SSD1 Crucial M4 128Gb SSD unopened for $95 and the reviews on that are amazing, my WD20EARS is the 1 main thing that is slowing this system down.

I actually called Best Buy and ended up talking with the guy on the phone for like 15min about my system and he just happened to be buying a cooler for his system and was thinking something like the H80 like I was and I told him about my temps and the cost of the Hyper 212 Evo that was $35 compared to $100 H80 and he was pretty happy to hear that, so Angel, Wevspot and Waco ,you guys helping me find the best stuff for my system Is actually helping others in the process, lol.

Edited by thebellbell