Processor - I7-3960X

CPU

Motherboard - Biostar TPower X79

Mobo

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4X4 1600Mhz Quad Channel

RAM

Case - Cooler Master 912 HAF

Chassis

I want to get the Havik-140 but theres no compatibility list for those and from what ive read against the NH-D14, the d14 only cools a degree or 2 less. The NH-D14 Compatibility list doesnt show the Biostar motherboard, the board is only 230 and Has really good reviews and looks like it has plenty of space!

Edited by thebellbell

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent really comes down to how far you will be overclocking the CPU. Just about any $40 heatsink will deliver temperatures under the processors TJMax rating.

My ASRock P55 Extreme with I5-760 has never been overclocked, with 4gb DDR3 1333, gtx 470, and after just ceramic thermal compound on stock intel cooler idle's between 35 and 40, and even running firefox with multiples windows, a vlc video paused and Witcher 2 Enhanced on High only gets to barely over 60degrees C.

But with such an expensive Processor that i wont have to upgrade for many years to come I want a decent one just for added protection and It doesn't come with one.

With the Cooler Master 912 HAF and the Biostar TPower Z79 can you suggest a cooler or two thats between like 40-70?

The NH-D14 Compatibility list doesn't list that motherboard and i just looked at the sockets for the Havik-140 and it doesn't support LGA 2011!

Edited by thebellbell

And the NH-D14 SE2011 Also doesn't show the Biostar as a compatible motherboard!

Is the Biostar TPower Z79 just not good, the reviews I saw were pretty amazing! Comments?

Looks like the best option with the CM HAF 912 Case using the H80 would fit easily in most motherboards and is a pretty good cooler, anyone here have or tried it, Im guessing the 3960x will put off some good heat!

Edited by thebellbell

Have you bought the CPU and motherboard yet?

If you havent, you should get a 3930k instead of the 3960x, the difference in performance is around 5%, and it only costs $600 compared to $1000.

With the extra $400 saved, you could get a ASUS rampage 4 Formula mobo, and get a real nice cooler/small custom LC setup.

The H80 would be a better option and fit easily in that chassis. If you are not overclocking you will do well with the H80. I have not personally tested a Biostar board so I do no have any first hand knowledge of their products.

Ya I had just added the H80 to the cart, thanks Cokeman.

Nah, I'm getting the Processor for free, I haven't looked up much on the 3930K, but Im sure theres a little more than just a 5% increase in performance with that processor, and with this setup, I wont be needing to spend anything on computer parts except to upgrade my GTX 470 for a Veryyy long time.

Ill probably just sell my P55 Extreme, I5760, 4gb, Gtx470. amd 320gb comp to pay for the GTX 470 and save the WD20EARS and the new 128GB SSD for the new build.

Id much rather get that ASUS board, but is it really $130 better than the Biostar TPower X79.

Excluding the Processor, with these products, im already up to $496, not including the SSD id like to get!

Case - Cooler Master HAF 912

Case

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB - 4x4GB 1600Mhz Quad Channel

Memory

Motherboard - BioStar TPower X79

Motherboard

Corsair H80

Cooler

Ok, well in that case i would look at getting a better motherboard, Asus, gigabyte and evga make great boards, i would recommend anything from them over a biostar board, especially if considering overclocking a very expensive CPU

There would be absolutely no need to overclock a CPU like that, I firmly believe the only reason they've made it sooo easy for ppl to overclock is to burn out CPU's faster so you have to upgrade, I mean, the I7-3960X processor is Intels fastest out, and I wont have anything i cant run, my 1156 with a gtx 470 can still do witcher 2 on high, browse and watch a movie at the same time "movie paused".

I do really love ASUS, can you recommend another ASUS Mobo for 2011 thats less than that, the BioStar is $230, Im mostly gaming! If another ASUS board has a couple less sata slots, and 1 less pcie slot, whoopdy do, not worth the extra 100-200 for simple extra ports and such!