New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC

Curlyp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FrozenCPU is a great company, but when it comes to getting fans, I look elsewhere. Officially Yate Loon does not produce a 38mm thick 120mm fan, so it's probably made of somewhat cheaper parts. It probably won't be an issue, but I can't recommend them without having tried them myself. Petra's is the only place I know of that sells Yates that were ordered directly from the factory.

FrozenCPU is a great company, but when it comes to getting fans, I look elsewhere. Officially Yate Loon does not produce a 38mm thick 120mm fan, so it's probably made of somewhat cheaper parts. It probably won't be an issue, but I can't recommend them without having tried them myself. Petra's is the only place I know of that sells Yates that were ordered directly from the factory.

Thanks Waco. Hmm, maybe I will order 6 of the Yate Loon 120mm x 38mm Fans and look into testing them so I can provide you and the community with results. I need to do some research on how I can test CFM and Static pressures of a fan. I tried reaching online the static pressure for the Yate Loon 120mm x 38mm Fans, but had no luck. :( I will research some more after dinner.

A buddy from work recommended that I use two different types of fans with different static pressures. His reason is:

1. I am using radiators with higher FINs, so I want to use a fan with higher static pressure
  2. To provide optimal cooling, the intake of air should be greater than the exhaust

With my case he suggests:

• The front 9 fans (which include my two radiators), and the back 5, should have higher static pressure to allow maximum air flow in
  • The top 12 fans should have lower static pressure, so the amount of air leaving is low.

I am not sure if what he is suggesting is correct or accurate. However, if it is, below are the two fans I am thinking about:

120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Red LED Case Fan - Clear (I still get to keep my red theme :))

Specifications:

Model: D12SL-12

Fan Size: 120mm x 120mm x 25mm

Speed: 1250 +/- 10% RPM

Airflow: 38.5 CFM

Static Pressure: 0.8mm H2O (1.1mm H2O Max)

Noise: 25.4 dBA

Bearing: Sleeve

Voltage: 12 V

Current: .15 Amp Max

Fan Life: 20,000 hours

Connector: 3pin and 4pin pass-through connector

Yate Loon 120mm x 38mm Fan - Low Speed (D12SL-12D)

Specifications:

Dimensions: 120 x 120 x 38 mm

Nominal Voltage: 12 V DC

Input Current: 0.30A Max

Nominal speed: 1350 RPM

Airflow: 48 CFM

Noise level: 23 dBA

Bearing Type: Sleeve

Frame Style: Open Chassis

Connector: Standard 3-Pin & Standard 4-Pin Pass-Through

What do you and the community think?

Oh...I didn't notice you were using those radiators. You'll need high speed fans if you want to cool well with high FPI radiators. 2000+ RPM and good static pressure.

I'd make all of the fans the same all the way around though. Having intake greater than exhaust just provides positive pressure, it usually is done to avoid dust buildup.

With your case the amount of rads and fans you will have.

Why not use low fpi rads which are now and thick like the xspc ex rads. Then use low rpm fans on them. That way you aren't deafened by just turning your pc on.

Plus the CPU, mobo and GPUs are a lot more efficient now days not putting out riddiculous amounts of heat (*cough*except bulldozer*cough*)

Oh...I didn't notice you were using those radiators. You'll need high speed fans if you want to cool well with high FPI radiators. 2000+ RPM and good static pressure.

I'd make all of the fans the same all the way around though. Having intake greater than exhaust just provides positive pressure, it usually is done to avoid dust buildup.

Trust me, those 38mm thick fans make short work of GTX radiators, you dont need high speed fans when they have that much static pressure. I am using push pull though, which is another thing to consider if you want even more performance, as the black ice GTX rads are some of the best coolers when paired with plenty of fan.

With your case the amount of rads and fans you will have.

Why not use low fpi rads which are now and thick like the xspc ex rads. Then use low rpm fans on them. That way you aren't deafened by just turning your pc on.

Plus the CPU, mobo and GPUs are a lot more efficient now days not putting out riddiculous amounts of heat (*cough*except bulldozer*cough*)

At the time, I did not know what radiators were the "best". I did my research (which this radiator gets great reviews), and spoke with a rep from FrozenCPU and he recommended the Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator, as it is one of the best on the market. I am still new to the water cooling, so I am learning as much as I can. According to others, as long as I have a high static pressure fan on my radiators, I should have no problem.

Plus, I have already bought the radiators. If I was going to return them, I would have a 20% restocking fee.