Network Problems

xly15

For the past couple of weeks the two computers on my network that are wired through ethernet have not been able to to see each other on the network and it it really starting to frustrate me. All the computers connected through the wireless can see the wired computers just fine.

Here is info if it may help you:

One computer is running Linux Mint 13 using samba to share files(Like I said all the wireless computers can see this share just fine.)

Another is a dual boot running both the Windows 8 consumer preview and Linux Mint 12

Finally the router is a buffalo wzr-hp G300NH v1 running the latest DD_WRT build available.

Got any ideas?

Check the configuration under the VLAN section of DD-WRT, and make sure you have it set up so that all of your ports are in VLAN 0, and check to make sure that the Wireless is set to LAN (this option is farther down on the page). You may also just try changing all of the ports to be in a different VLAN and then putting them back in VLAN 0 after. I have had some strange issues similar to what you are experiencing solved by messing with those setting (even when nothing appeared to be wrong in the first place).

Have you made any changes to your network that you can think of before these problems started occurring? Are you using any of the more advanced features of DD-WRT?

No not really. The only service I really use is assigning ips to my computers, but that was setup before the upgrade.

I can't find the settings for vlan anywhere in my router settings.

Edited by xly15

The VLAN setting should be under the setup tab, then there is another tab under that section for VLANs. At least that's where it is for me. You might have to dig more to find it on your version, maybe look through the wiki page for your version?

I tried seeing if I could ping one computer from the other and all I get is destination host unreachable. But yet both of the wired computers can ping all the wireless clients on the network.

Were you able to find the VLAN section? Check that both wired computer have IP's that are in the same subnet and that both are receiving the correct information DHCP (if you have these statically assigned, double check all your settings). It could also be worth checking your firewall, try turning off IPtables and see if that changes anything.

I'm kind of running out of ideas here... Would you be willing to try doing a restore to factory default on your dd-wrt router? (just restore the defaults for dd-wrt not restoring to the actual factory firmware).

I just did a factory reset and that got me nothing. I am about go ask some questions in the dd wrt forums. Thanks for your help though.

Honestly I still feel that your issue is related to some odd behavior going on in the VLAN section of dd-wrt, I have had issues in the past where certain routers still needed to have setting changed in the VLAN section even after doing a reset (did you ever find the VLAN config page?).

Can you tell me exactly what version of dd-wrt you are running and I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas for you.

Honestly I still feel that your issue is related to some odd behavior going on in the VLAN section of dd-wrt, I have had issues in the past where certain routers still needed to have setting changed in the VLAN section even after doing a reset (did you ever find the VLAN config page?).

Can you tell me exactly what version of dd-wrt you are running and I'll see if I can come up with any other ideas for you.

I don't have a vlan section in my router config. The only way I can mess with vlans is by sshing into the router itself, but I am pretty that it is doing nothing. By what I understand from dd-wrt's wiki articles on vlans it is only broadcom hardware that supports it to beginning with.

It is release 18777.

Ah ok, I did not realize that was not supported on your hardware. Have you tried of of the other older releases of dd-wrt?

That is what I was thinking about doing because it seems like the only thing that will work.

Okay I installed a version of dd wrt from back in December and that seems to have cleared up the wired computers not seeing each other. Now I just need to see if I will have problems with data rates going down like I did with the version of dd wrt released by Buffalo themselves.

Edited by xly15