90sgamer's new rig!

90sgamer

Wow, really nice setup. Sadly I to live in the Souther US, but I got an i5 3550 <.< so OC not is a bad idea as it's not unlocked and I've got stock fan xD [but for my first build with $900 I didn't do to bad]

I assume this isn't your first build ethier, great that you where able to upgrade to all this New GEn stuff ^^ [like that GPU :3]

What did you pay for it all?

Thanks! I've done quite a few builds in my time, but I haven't done too much since around 2009, so I was already itching to upgrade. I plan to hang on to this rig for a while. :biggrin:

i7 3770k: $349

Sabertooth Z77: $210 (after Combo discount)

Crucial M4: $199 (On sale)

Kingston HyperX 3k: FREE! (Thanks Computer Ed!)

Corsair 16GB kit: $110 (on sale)

GTX 670: $399.99

Hyper212: $20 (after MIR)

Rosewill Thor V2: $99 (on sale)

ASUS Xonar DSX: $60

I already had all of the other parts.

Well seems like it is a bit cooler then my V Pro used too but not by much.. Why don't yountry fiddling with the fan Xpert utility? I've heard the newer revision that comes with the Z77 boards works really well.

Shame though that the 3770K runs that hot. I was kinda hoping to get a 3570K at around 4.6GHz using a D14 or H100. But maybe you're experiencing high temps cause it's summer there biggrin.gif

The software is pretty nice! You can tweak every fan in your case. You can tie a fan to a specific sensor and tell it what % to ramp up to at what temperature. :biggrin: With the CPU fan maxed out, it still ran around 62C or so using Prime95 small ffts. When I started Blend mode, it was running at about 55C. Thats with Turbo boost, which I'm sure is probably feeding it more volts than it needs. I'm sure you can get a 3570k to 4.6Ghz on those coolers. It should be cooler without HT, as well.

OMG i saw that board on newegg and i want to use it on an IB build i hope the thermal armor performs well. Do you have that little out take fan installed on the I/O area XD?

Yep :biggrin: Its actually an intake fan. There is a little grill in the IO shield in front of the fan that allows it to take cool air from outside the case and blow it over the VRMs.

How was the tim cured? I am itching to try a hair dryer to cure the next tim I apply because I see the way the stock heatsink tim is looking and the way the tim I put on is looking, and the comparison makes me think the tim I apply is not dry yet.

Do you think you would ever mod the tim under the cpu heat spreader? There are high performance tim sheets about 60mm x 60mm that adhere to the surface being cooled.

As Waco said, my paste doesn't require curing. Paste that does (like Arctic Silver 5), cures by heat from the processor after you apply it. In those cases, you can see better temps after its been applied for a while.

I doubt I will de-lid it to change the thermal paste. I've been hearing conflicting reports from different places online. One place had someone mount their cooler directly onto the cores and saw essentially zero difference in temperatures. Another one had someone put some IC Diamond on the cores, re-lid it, and saw some significant decrease in temps. Not sure what to believe at this point. I would rather not take the risk of losing my warranty or damaging the processor trying to do that. Maybe later, but now I'm just enjoying an entirely functioning PC :biggrin:

Thanks! I've done quite a few builds in my time, but I haven't done too much since around 2009, so I was already itching to upgrade. I plan to hang on to this rig for a while. :biggrin:

i7 3770k: $349

Sabertooth Z77: $210 (after Combo discount)

Crucial M4: $199 (On sale)

Kingston HyperX 3k: FREE! (Thanks Computer Ed!)

Corsair 16GB kit: $110 (on sale)

GTX 670: $399.99

Hyper212: $20 (after MIR)

Rosewill Thor V2: $99 (on sale)

ASUS Xonar DSX: $60

I already had all of the other parts.

The software is pretty nice! You can tweak every fan in your case. You can tie a fan to a specific sensor and tell it what % to ramp up to at what temperature. :biggrin: With the CPU fan maxed out, it still ran around 62C or so using Prime95 small ffts. When I started Blend mode, it was running at about 55C. Thats with Turbo boost, which I'm sure is probably feeding it more volts than it needs. I'm sure you can get a 3570k to 4.6Ghz on those coolers. It should be cooler without HT, as well.

Yep :biggrin: Its actually an intake fan. There is a little grill in the IO shield in front of the fan that allows it to take cool air from outside the case and blow it over the VRMs.

As Waco said, my paste doesn't require curing. Paste that does (like Arctic Silver 5), cures by heat from the processor after you apply it. In those cases, you can see better temps after its been applied for a while.

I doubt I will de-lid it to change the thermal paste. I've been hearing conflicting reports from different places online. One place had someone mount their cooler directly onto the cores and saw essentially zero difference in temperatures. Another one had someone put some IC Diamond on the cores, re-lid it, and saw some significant decrease in temps. Not sure what to believe at this point. I would rather not take the risk of losing my warranty or damaging the processor trying to do that. Maybe later, but now I'm just enjoying an entirely functioning PC :biggrin:

Nice build and very nice case. Especially like the white version. What is the cable mangement like in terms of what it say's on the box. Any good?