ESXi 4/5

greengiant912

I know I am going a little off topic here but if you want an inexpensive router with all the big boy features (dynamic routing protocols, SLA, VRRP, etc) then take a look at Mikrotik.

I was actually going to see if anyone had some suggestions about that stuff :), ideally I want to get a decent layer 3 Cisco switch and a fairly decent rtr at some point...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually going to see if anyone had some suggestions about that stuff :), ideally I want to get a decent layer 3 Cisco switch and a fairly decent rtr at some point...

Yea I use Mikrotik a lot for smaller environments that just can't justify the cost of a Cisco or Juniper router but still want that level of functionality. We actually use them internally for our WISP core network. The only downside to them is their support is terrible but they are so much cheaper you can buy two or three and use failover and a pre-configured hot spare lol.

If you get a layer 3 switch then there really wouldn't be a need for a router unless you need to terminate a non-ethernet WAN connection.

Yea I use Mikrotik a lot for smaller environments that just can't justify the cost of a Cisco or Juniper router but still want that level of functionality. We actually use them internally for our WISP core network. The only downside to them is their support is terrible but they are so much cheaper you can buy two or three and use failover and a pre-configured hot spare lol.

If you get a layer 3 switch then there really wouldn't be a need for a router unless you need to terminate a non-ethernet WAN connection.

yeah rtr more for my lab environment... I got two older ones right now, which do the job for testing and what not..

I really would like a layer 3 switch which is why I mentioned that first ;)

Catalyst 3550's are a pretty solid choice for decent/cheap L3 switches. As long as you can put the right IOS on them they do L3. Otherwise you would be looking at a 3750 which tend to be a fair amount more costly. If you want more information on gear for a Cisco lab feel free to ask for advice, almost everything I work with is Cisco. What level of experience do you have as far as Cisco is concerned?

Glad to hear you got your ESXi install up and running :)

So I am trying to p2v my physical centOS 6.2 machine, and well it goes threw the process well but when I start up the virtual OS i get a kernel panic during the boot process.

I have been reading this guide http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1002402

and well I notice that the 2ndish step is to edit the /etc/modprobe.conf file, but there is no such file...

Maybe this will be of more use to you. It's at least a more recent version, and the information might be more accurate. If that still produces no results for you I have a system I can try doing a test for you with possibly tomorrow.

http://www.pronetindy.com/2010/02/28/vmware-physical-to-virtual-with-centos-5/

Maybe this will be of more use to you. It's at least a more recent version, and the information might be more accurate. If that still produces no results for you I have a system I can try doing a test for you with possibly tomorrow.

http://www.pronetindy.com/2010/02/28/vmware-physical-to-virtual-with-centos-5/

Yeah tried reinstalling grub multiple times. :( If I have some time tonight I might play around with it a little more...

Theres an option I havent tried yet, and thats doing a manual move, which is something I was trying to avoid, since this server took forever to get the way I wanted it lol and I really don't want to build a new server again...

When you did the P2V clone, did you use thick or thin provisioning?

refresh my memory. Thick is where you have a set partition size? where as thin you can adjust it as needed?

If so I believe I am doing a thick p2v.

edit just double checked and from the options I have selected it looks like I was doing a thick provision.

Edited by greengiant912