i7 980 Overclock

Desires

I read a lot of guides on overclocking and a few specifically geared towards overclocking i7's, but none of which was for the i7 980 (this is not the i7 980x). However, I noticed a few discrepencies between the normal i7's and the i7 980. First of all, I'm not sure what's the maximum safe Vcore, and in general all voltages, I can have for the i7 980. What would be the maximum safe temperature I can sustain with a H80? Thanks.

This overclocking guide is geared at dealing with both Gulftown (high end i7's like your 980) and Bloomfield (other "lower end" i7's like my 930).

The same method can be used for both the 980x and 980 because they are basically the same chip. If you want information on voltages and temps look at page 3 of that above mentioned guide.

i7s are hardy processors and Intel recommends not going over 100 C. I would probably not go above 90 C though personally. As long as your cooler can keep it under 90-100 C when CPU is under load (ie running prime95) then you are all good :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoy overclocking that beast! :popcorn: