Watercooling Ideas?

NikoDG

I'm getting a little carried away, eh? Lol

No you are doing exactly what I was doing when I first learned about water cooling. I was going to mod a mini fridge to house radiators and everything. However, the reality is that the hard ware can only be overclocked so much while still being safe and responsible with you CPU. For instance, I could run out and get water cooling for my CPU, and probably overclock it to 4.8 ghz. However, I have no reason to abuse my processor THAT much. There is a point where you should just find a speed you are happy with and just cool that speed as best as you can.

I would say that you aren't getting carried away as much as you are getting over excited. Basically you want to build something you would be personally happy with. That will save you money for maybe some better parts. For instance if you can save a couple hundred bucks on the cooling, then maybe you could go with the SB-E X rather than the SB-E K. Just a different perspective.

There isn't really any difference between the two CPU's though is there? I mean besides a little more L3 Cache on the X, does it really justify it being almost double the price? I originally wanted the X but after looking at it more I'm not sure it is.

Without a peltier or some other similar cooling you won't get sub-ambiant temps on water cooling.

I have been experimenting with it. I have seen it a couple of times where I have achieved sub ambient temps. Mind you I am taking the temperature of the water coming out of the rad and NOT the CPU.

The problem is when I do achieve sub ambient temps, I am seeing like a 3 degrees Fahrenheit, and I never see it last more than ten minutes. I am fairly confident it is just an anomaly so I don't think I can say you can get sub ambient temperatures. However, I know I can get there eventually :biggrin:

I have been experimenting with it. I have seen it a couple of times where I have achieved sub ambient temps. Mind you I am taking the temperature of the water coming out of the rad and NOT the CPU.

The problem is when I do achieve sub ambient temps, I am seeing like a 3 degrees Fahrenheit, and I never see it last more than ten minutes. I am fairly confident it is just an anomaly so I don't think I can say you can get sub ambient temperatures. However, I know I can get there eventually :biggrin:

Have you read what Waco found when he added a second temp sensor to his loop?

Also you cannot make or destroy energy only change its form and as such heat is not going to magically disappear at the radiators. You can approach but never go below ambient unless some other form of cooling that introduces sub ambient temps comes along.

Heat wil always move from the hotter object to the cooler as ambient is tge coolest thing you will not be able to go lower.

Your findings prove your thermometer is wrong.

I have considered a mineral oil pc in a fridge with a massive heatsync on the cpu and if you have seen them the htpc coolers low profile that will get there heatpipes bent so multi card setups can still happen

Have you read what Waco found when he added a second temp sensor to his loop?

Also you cannot make or destroy energy only change its form and as such heat is not going to magically disappear at the radiators. You can approach but never go below ambient unless some other form of cooling that introduces sub ambient temps comes along.

Heat wil always move from the hotter object to the cooler as ambient is tge coolest thing you will not be able to go lower.

Your findings prove your thermometer is wrong.

I have considered a mineral oil pc in a fridge with a massive heatsync on the cpu and if you have seen them the htpc coolers low profile that will get there heatpipes bent so multi card setups can still happen

Well yes, like I said...anomaly. It isn't like I have like super sensitive thermometers. Just some nicer ones from the kitchen :lol::doh: So I am sure there is bound to be some minor misinterpretations :P