Building New Water Cooled i7-3960X Rig

NikoDG

NikoDg you should add beside each of those ceases in font say 5 and in a colour code the prices. ie if budget is $200 max then if it is sub $150 it would be green at 150-200 it would be orange and at over 200 red.

Make sense?

Also after the second look I had at the Trooper case I am going to say go with it as it's quite a bit better than the Scout, which I have looked at in the past and the reason I didn't look to close at the Trooper the first time :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't shy away from hanging a radiator off the back of the case. I thought it would look ugly at first but I really like the way it looks now (even with the ghetto way I ran my tubes). :lol:

I wouldn't shy away from hanging a radiator off the back of the case. I thought it would look ugly at first but I really like the way it looks now (even with the ghetto way I ran my tubes). :lol:

While I would prefer not to myself i agree with Waco and would do it if I need more cooling. After all it's the back of the case and may even clean it up a little by hiding cables from view.

Hmm, I'll definitely do that Stonerboy, just gotta wait until I get home. Currently on my cellphone at work looking at the forums (shhh, don't tell my boss) :P

And if it comes to that Waco I may just get an external radiator mount. It looks as though Danger Den has one that can fit three 360mm radiators, say goodbye to any cooling problems you might have with that ;)

If I mounted side fans in the Trooper that sucked air out of the case would that disturb airflow over the motherboard significantly? This is assuming a single 120mm fan on the bottom of the case, and two 120mm fans at the front are sucking air in.

Oh, and one more thing, I heard on the video review at Overclock3d that on the top of the case it is actually possible to not only mount a 240mm radiator, but you can also switch that out for a 280mm radiator. Sure it's not a huge difference, but pretty awesome in my opinion.

Wait a second, I lied, I have one other question, this one's about my reservoir/pump. I found a reservoir that could actually house my Swiftech MCP655 pump, saving me precious space on the inside of the case. Now the only thing I am not fond of about the reservoir is it doesn't show a temperature reading. Does anyone know of a bay reservoir that can house a MCP655 pump, and shows the temperature in an LED display on the front? Or am I just gonna have to mount a temperature probe so I can monitor my water temperature?

Edited by NikoDG

Hmm, I'll definitely do that Stonerboy, just gotta wait until I get home. Currently on my cellphone at work looking at the forums (shhh, don't tell my boss) :P

And if it comes to that Waco I may just get an external radiator mount. It looks as though Danger Den has one that can fit three 360mm radiators, say goodbye to any cooling problems you might have with that ;)

If I mounted side fans in the Trooper that sucked air out of the case would that disturb airflow over the motherboard significantly? This is assuming a single 120mm fan on the bottom of the case, and two 120mm fans at the front are sucking air in.

Oh, and one more thing, I heard on the video review at Overclock3d that on the top of the case it is actually possible to not only mount a 240mm radiator, but you can also switch that out for a 280mm radiator. Sure it's not a huge difference, but pretty awesome in my opinion.

Meh i am on here at work quite a bit of the time, work is so boring I need something to stimulate my brain a little.

If you go with my fav rads the xspc-rx you'll only get 240 they don't make rads for 140mm fans. Swiftech was aparenty going to start an mcr-xl series for 140mm fans but it never seemed to get going :lol:

Reason I love rx rads is 8fpi, means I can run quiet fans on them pushing plenty of air. the 30fpi of the koolance rads would drive my head in but the swiftech and black ice (black ice, if you want 140 fans) are great low fpi performers too.

Yeah, those Black Ice Danger Den radiators are pretty sexy. What about the door mounted fans sucking air out though, do you have any opinions on that? I'm thinking it may pull airflow away from the motherboard a little bit, I have no idea if it would be enough to cause a dangerous rise in temperature on the non-watercooled areas though. Though the North/South Bridge, and Mossfets don't run that hot to begin with do they?

Yeah, those Black Ice Danger Den radiators are pretty sexy. What about the door mounted fans sucking air out though, do you have any opinions on that? I'm thinking it may pull airflow away from the motherboard a little bit, I have no idea if it would be enough to cause a dangerous rise in temperature on the non-watercooled areas though. Though the North/South Bridge, and Mossfets don't run that hot to begin with do they?

Best way to go is try different combos and see what gives you the best balance of temps.

Ah, alright, cause I'm thinking of A possible quad radiator set-up that would include a radiator on the side panel, and I don't really blow in too much air heated by the radiators if I can help it. Also, I hear it's better to have more fans moving air out than in, if you don't have enough fans pulling air out you get lots of dust build-up.

Ah, alright, cause I'm thinking of A possible quad radiator set-up that would include a radiator on the side panel, and I don't really blow in too much air heated by the radiators if I can help it. Also, I hear it's better to have more fans moving air out than in, if you don't have enough fans pulling air out you get lots of dust build-up.

your meant to have more fans in than out, this creates higher pressure inside the case, causing air to move out through any gaps in the case, pushing dust out the way. but definately use fan filters on every fan

Oh really, I was told it's preferrable to have more fans out, haha D:

Is it worth having a radiator on a set of fans blowing into the case? My guess is probably not as the warmed air will now deposit heat back into the system, BUT if you have positive pressure inside the case pushing that warm air out I'm guessing it probably won't be able to re-deposit most of the heat it picked up?

Also, it's not necessarily the number of fans is it? More the volume of airflow, so if you have three high speed fans pushing air in, and five low speed fans pushing out that should have the desired effect, am I right?

Edited by NikoDG

Oh really, I was told it's preferrable to have more fans out, haha D:

Is it worth having a radiator on a set of fans blowing into the case? My guess is probably not as the warmed air will now deposit heat back into the system, BUT if you have positive pressure inside the case pushing that warm air out I'm guessing it probably won't be able to re-deposit most of the heat it picked up?

Also, it's not necessarily the number of fans is it? More the volume of airflow, so if you have three high speed fans pushing air in, and five low speed fans pushing out that should have the desired effect, am I right?

Rads will restrict the air anyway. You will likely use different fans on case and rads but always try and get the highest rated fans for the noise you are comfortable with.