Project Pheno

Indevious

Well after being out of the loop for a very longtime I decided to get back into building my own rigs and OCing. My first rig I eve d was a P3 450 mhz Coppermine. I dicscovered OCing and ended up running that Coppermine at 850 mhz for a year than built my next rig a AMD 2500 M for those of you remember that awesome OCing CPU. Than I went MIA from the computer world due to real life issues and am now slowly finding my way back.

This build which I nicknamed Project Pheno is scheduled for February 2012.

What I want from this Build:

1> Ability to OC! I love to push it as far as possible and than push a bit more I want to get some big speeds from this Rig.

2> F@H I have always been a big fan of F@H and the more this rig can crunch the better.

3> HD movies and encoding/decoding. We watch alot of HD 1080 and do alot of decoding and encoding so want the rig to be fast and smooth for this.

4> Gaming. I will do some gaming and want to be able to play any of the new and upcoming games at full res and smooth. I love FPS.

5> Not only am I obsessed with OCing I am obsessed with big scores on all types of benchmarks so overall speed is a factor.

The Budget- Roughly 2k this is for just the box I already have monitor, speakers etc.. I live in Montreal QC and so far haven't found a real good store to use for parts. I would prefer to buy locally so if you know of a good store here please post a link.

Watercooling or subzero are both options. As long as it is dependable and able to operate under heavy load 24/7.

So please leave advice and suggestions as right now I am trying to catch up and have no idea what's out there or coming as far as hardware.

Hardware List and Links

CPU- ??

RAM- ??

MOBO- ??

Hard Drives- SSD in RAID 0 (Hardware Controller) Brand?

Case- ??

PSU- ??

Watercooling- ??

Vid Card(s)- ??

DVD Burner- ??

I'll be doing some research and updating this as I go also based on what people suggest. Thanks for any help you can give me on this!

Edited by Indevious

The best advice to you is to repost this question in February. There is a ton of new stuff that will be coming out like Ivy Bridge and the AMD 7000 series cards, so we really can't tell you what exactly will be out. The best thing to do would be probably to move your deadline to early march and save EVERY single penny you have. Then we should have some answers :cheers:

The best advice to you is to repost this question in February. There is a ton of new stuff that will be coming out like Ivy Bridge and the AMD 7000 series cards, so we really can't tell you what exactly will be out. The best thing to do would be probably to move your deadline to early march and save EVERY single penny you have. Then we should have some answers :cheers:

So far Ivy doesn't look like a big leap forward over SB and the unlocked chips sound like they may be limited for big OCs due to some missing features?

So far Ivy doesn't look like a big leap forward over SB and the unlocked chips sound like they may be limited for big OCs due to some missing features?

NOOOOOOOO! What Ivy bridge gives you is something that will revolutionize computers forever. We have had the transistor for what seems like forever, but all they have done is gotten smaller and more powerful over the years. Ivy bridge is putting the transistor through and evolution by turning the normal 2D transistor into a 3D transistor. Since it is a very complex innovation, basically what you need to know is it will be faster, and it will run with less energy and run cooler. This gives you a HUGE oc advantage over the SB chips.

On top of that, Ivy Bridge will support Gen 3 PCI ports. This means that in theory, you could get up to twice the performance with a Gen 3 card than a Gen 2 card. So a massive bonus there.

As for those missing features, I think I know what you are referring too, but I think it will be fixed by the release date. I believe that as long as you go with a K edition of the chip, you should be fine.