q9450 @3.5ghz worth upgrading to i52500k?

iv had this q9450 for 3years now and i52500k is looking pretty good, but is it worth the 500bux? for the ram... and mobo then finally the cpu?? playing skyrim atm, getting 35-60 fps

my system now

q9450 2.6ghz OC'd at 3.5ghz

Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 2GB x 4

XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775

6870 XFX GPU

upgraded =

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB X 2

ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3

6870 GPU

He already has 8GB of DDR2... Unless he as like DDR2-533, the fastest he can get really is 1066, and even then, its super expensive and just not really worth it. Definitely dont put any money into the current CPU/MoBo/Ram. If you want another video card though, that's a different story, CF 6870's is really really nice.

In real world gaming and what not, i doubt you'd see much difference between a C2Q @ 3.5GHz and a i5-2500k @ even 4.8GHz. You can only get so many FPS, and that limiter is usually your video card. Now if you had a C2D... id say otherwise, but well overclocked C2Q is nothing to laugh at still.

But Ivy Bridge isn't going to be out for a while. So an upgrade into sandy isnt totally worthless, might even be fun. I prefer to skip a generation or 2 between upgrades. You've successfully done this, if you have the money to spend, now's not a bad time to upgrade.

Seconded on the skipping the RAM upgrade - it won't make a performance difference.

I'd suggest going with a single larger card or grabbing another 6870 for some CrossfireX action. :) nVidia 780i boards can do Crossfire right?

Seconded on the skipping the RAM upgrade - it won't make a performance difference.

I'd suggest going with a single larger card or grabbing another 6870 for some CrossfireX action. :) nVidia 780i boards can do Crossfire right?

Oh hmm... i didnt notice the nvidia chipset board, kinda glanced over that. Probably no CF for him. I still stand by not dropping a dime into a very very dead platform in the socket 775.

Realistically why are you wanting to upgrade? Are you having performance issues? OR just because? On this website a good reason is because i feel like doing it. Lol, so if you just want to upgrade go for it. Personally id go for an i7-2600k though. If you're gonna upgrade you should UPGRADE. Just my 2 cents though.

I just went through the identical situation with a customer and the 2500K blows the Q9450 out of the water litterly. Put money into that platform would be a waste of money in my opinon, if you have the itch to upgrade go for it, you will be happy :)

You never said what resolution you were playing at either.

You can check out this link as well for some ideas of stock number performance. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/51?vs=288

I just went through the identical situation with a customer and the 2500K blows the Q9450 out of the water litterly. Put money into that platform would be a waste of money in my opinon, if you have the itch to upgrade go for it, you will be happy :)

You never said what resolution you were playing at either.

You can check out this link as well for some ideas of stock number performance. http://www.anandtech...oduct/51?vs=288

You would talk about blowing things...

Oh Bosco... rofl.gif