Overclocking a Core 2 Duo E7400

Barreto

Ok, the memory clock thing didn't work. Also, I can't set the memory back to 533, only to 667. Even with 667 memory clock, the FSB can't get past 343.

I'll try setting the multiplier to 6 and FSB to 350 and then I'll go raising a bit.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just came up with a crazy idea... But I might be right.

I'm using the main 12v rail of my power supply to feed both motherboard and GPU. The problem is... The XFX 6950 uses 2 6-pin connectors. Maybe the 12v rail isn't hanging up when I'm trying to do an overvoltage...

I'm gonna try feeding the GPU with 2 modular cables and leaving the rail to the motherboard alone. Something crazy, but could be right.

Also, my power supply is an XFX XXX 650W.

Ok, the memory clock thing didn't work. Also, I can't set the memory back to 533, only to 667. Even with 667 memory clock, the FSB can't get past 343.

I'll try setting the multiplier to 6 and FSB to 350 and then I'll go raising a bit.

Hmm.

Anyone have any better ideas? It's been a while since I overclocked a Core 2 CPU but my Q6600 was dead simple when I overclocked it.

Hello everyone! It's been a while and i just saw this topic...

OK, Barreto, I have my E7400 @ 4,20Ghz right now,

with these settings...

FSB Speed 400Mhz*10.5

Memory Speed @ 800Mhz Stable with 4-4-4-12 timings for 1:1

CPU VCore Voltage @ 1.49

CPU PLL voltage @ 1.68

FSB Voltage @ 1.55

(There is no need to set anything else for this CPU to overclock at this point...)

(Click on the Cpu-z above and check!)

Edited by John_again

Hello everyone! It's been a while and i just saw this topic...

OK, Barreto, I have my E7400 @ 4,20Ghz right now,

with these settings...

FSB Speed 400Mhz*10.5

Memory Speed @ 800Mhz Stable with 4-4-4-12 timings for 1:1

CPU VCore Voltage @ 1.49

CPU PLL voltage @ 1.68

FSB Voltage @ 1.55

How come? o _ O

My VCore limit is 1.39v, I can set the memory voltage between 1.8 and 2.1v, MCH voltage to auto, 1.25 or 1.40v and can't manually set the fsb/clock ratio. =/

I'm gonna try something right now. Be right back.

Ok, the memory clock thing didn't work. Also, I can't set the memory back to 533, only to 667.

667Mhz is the lowest memory multiplier available on that board.

Waco already mentioned dropping your CPU multiplier down as low as it will go, set your memory to the 667Mhz divider and start pushing the FSB.

Also, check and see if you're running the latest BIOS. You should be running BIOS 5.06 or later, with the latest being version 5.12

After updating your BIOS.......................

Just to see what headroom your board and cpu "might" have, try taking AI off of auto and just inputting a target CPU frequency and then let the BIOS configure the rest.

Or if you don't like that option, you could also set the AI Overclocking option to Profile and load the Overclock 20% Profile and see if it boots.

I'm not proposing either of these as a long term solution, but either of those approaches will get you in the ball park. Then you can use CPUz to determine what FSB frequency, CPU multipler, Memory Speed

and voltages the BIOS is auto setting to achieve the cpu frequency.

Ultimately, the Asus P5KPL/1600 just isn't a very good board for overclocking though. While your E7400 "may" be capable of hitting 4.0Ghz stable, that board just isn't going to cooperate. You really don't have access

to options in the BIOS that will get you there.

Allright, I'm gonna add the more information I can.

wevsspot, I don't use that auto-overclock feature, also it doesn't go beyond 15% (what means 3.22GHz on CPU's clock) without giving me black screen. I'm running 3.5GHz stable at the moment. FSB:DRAM in CPU-Z is telling 4:5.

Here are my manual settings:

- 333MHz FSB (can be set between 200 and 600, default is 266)

- 10.5 multiplier (can be set between 6 and 10.5, default is 10.5)

- 667MHz memory clock (can be set to auto, 667, 800 and 1067)

- 1.90v memory voltage (can be set between 1.80 and 2.235 if I recall, not 2.1)

- Auto MCH Chipset voltage (can be set to auto, 1.25 or 1.40)

- +100mv VCore voltage (default is 1.248, can set +50, +100 and +150mv increases, that makes a max of 1.398)

Also, C1E Support, CPU TM Function and Execute Disable Bit are enabled, and Max CPUID Value Limit is disabled.

I can also leave RAM latency in automatic settings or manually set CL, tRCD, tRP and tRAS.

If pics are going to help, I'm gonna upload later because I'm late to my class. lol

My best guess is that your memory speed is the culprit.

At 333FSB your effective memory clock is 832.5Mhz (using the 667 memory clock - the lowest you have). Not sure what memory you are using, but if it's generic stuff it might not have any more left in it.

So............ what memory are you actually running and what are the memory specs? i.e. voltage and timings?

My best guess is that your memory speed is the culprit.

At 333FSB your effective memory clock is 832.5Mhz (using the 667 memory clock - the lowest you have). Not sure what memory you are using, but if it's generic stuff it might not have any more left in it.

So............ what memory are you actually running and what are the memory specs? i.e. voltage and timings?

One Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G, 1.8v default voltage, 6-6-6-15 default timing.

One Markvision I-dunno-what-model 1.8v, I think the default timing is 5-5-5-15 or something around this (maybe 5-6-5-15 or 5-6-6-15).

Both are 2GB PC2-6400.