Getting Into WaterCooling - Reccomendations

Ronsanut

I know it is a half on half off topic...

but I can see how the Delta of a loop can be zero. Or water temperature almost the same from component to component But knowing and understanding heat and the way it conducts from meterial to material it could only make sense that the water temp would rise between hrat loads. That logic i place only makes it ideal to throw a single radiator in a loop to assist a larger radiator that is the main cooler the system when dealing with multiple loads. Unless the productivity of a single radiator is nothing... but in that respect with the h50 60 70 and 80 that only points to a single radiator being a viable but limited resourse solution. It be nice to know if the extra radiator helps the system overall or the component that is next in line. Heck maybe it will show that anything less or more then a triple 120mm radiator with decent fans is useless. I am not sure. Data will tell. Hehe... ill be first in line to pin the topic when we first d out.

Well it's not that extra radiators don't help - it's that the water temperature of the whole system is pretty uniform. It takes a LOT of heat to raise the temperature of water and if you've got any kind of halfway decent pump the water moves so quickly through the loop that it's all essentially the same temperature.

We'll see when the temp probe and display get here. :lol: I'll probably put it in my reservoir since it's the "coolest" spot in the loop.

Wouldn't it be nice to afford a sensor before and after each component. LOL. When my new watercooling system gets built ill do a test between with and without the extra radiator.

I can move the sensor around somewhat easily - I'm relatively good at not spilling water these days. :lol: The last time I took my CPU block apart I didn't even drain my loop. :P

Sorry I was not clear. What I mentioned was if you are looking for any more performance or run into an overheating loop then you can put a 120x1 in the rear fan to help cool the system. I would not use a single 120x1 as it would not cool the heat as well on its own. The use I'm intending g it for is to slight cool the water temp after my processor and chipset so the gpus are not receiving hot water with the processor under load.

That's cool. Thanks. I understand now.

Well If I had a temp sensors I could tet i tout. I am running a 1X120 after the processor and a 240 afer my graphics card both running off a single pump and resivor. I will run a split after the pump and one right befor eth ewater enters back in to the resivor. I will be setting up the water tommorow I wanted to make sure the Asrock board would fire up and run smooth before plumbing the whole thing again. Plus I hae some silver colored Feser hose coming tommorow and would like to use that instead of th eBlack I was originally going to go with.

Okay based upon all of your wonderful advice here is what I ordered:

Black Ice SR1 120.3 Radiator

Aska Apache Silent Fans or Silverstone AP-121 Fans or Noctua NF-P12 fans

Koolance 1/2" (13mm) ID G1/4 6 Compression Fittings and 6 Quick Disconnects VL3N Series

Koolance 370 CPU Block

Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25" Reservoir

MPC-655 Pump (1)

Tygon Tubing 1/2in ID x 5/8in OD

Some PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Water Cooling Coolant (32 oz.)- Electric UV Blue

I also ordered a Koolance waterblock to test water cooling of one of my Radeon 6950 AMD Cards. I think I need to order more fittings.

Do you think I need more than 32 oz of the Coolant ? And has anyone used this Non-Conductive Coolant ?

Thanks again for all your help. I will let you know how it goes.

I know it is a half on half off topic...

but I can see how the Delta of a loop can be zero. Or water temperature almost the same from component to component But knowing and understanding heat and the way it conducts from meterial to material it could only make sense that the water temp would rise between hrat loads. That logic i place only makes it ideal to throw a single radiator in a loop to assist a larger radiator that is the main cooler the system when dealing with multiple loads. Unless the productivity of a single radiator is nothing... but in that respect with the h50 60 70 and 80 that only points to a single radiator being a viable but limited resourse solution. It be nice to know if the extra radiator helps the system overall or the component that is next in line. Heck maybe it will show that anything less or more then a triple 120mm radiator with decent fans is useless. I am not sure. Data will tell. Hehe... ill be first in line to pin the topic when we first d out.

i just did a calculation of the specific heat capacity of water, and the flowrates of a laing d5, so it would take approximatly 1000 watts of heat to raise the water temp at the end of the loop by one degree Celsius

and thats a fairly conservative measurement, using a flow rate of 800Lph, (it can do 1200, but by the time you factor in restriction, i put it as 800) and it takes 4W of heat to make 1 gram of water 1 degree hotter

I have two systems to choose from to test my first watercooling on. An i7-2600k on a ASUS P67 Deluxe or an i7-970 on a ASUS Rampage III Formula. My son is going to likely get one of these to use as a gaming and music production system. I have been trying to sell the i7-970 ($499) and the Formula ($220) on E-bay but no takers yet. So I am considering keeping it and using one or the other for my son.

Which should I use as my testbed/watercooling system ? I guess which would you think would provide more of a challenge and satisfaction for overclocking & cooling ?