PROLIMATECH GENESIS AND X79

JJDARK21

hi guys im building a new rig to replace my i7 965 rig so i have some questions i really love the performance of prolimatech genesis do you guys think that it will have x79 motherboard support and if it has do u guys think that i will have problems with that cooler fitting it on the motherboard with the ram layout of x79 motherboards and second and final question do you guys think that a pc power and cooling silencer mk II 950w is enough for a 6990 and 16 gb of ram and a haf x ?

Edited by JJDARK21

hi guys im building a new rig to replace my i7 965 rig so i have some questions i really love the performance of prolimatech genesis do you guys think that it will have x79 motherboard support and if it has do u guys think that i will have problems with that cooler fitting it on the motherboard with the ram layout of x79 motherboards and second and final question do you guys think that a pc power and cooling silencer mk II 950w is enough for a 6990 and 16 gb of ram and a haf x ?

No it will not have support, you wont have problems because it wont be supported. Yes, but you might want to consider a 1050 w just in case ;) .

Long answer. The x79 "proof of concept board " by gigabyte shows that the processor is going to be a bit bigger than a 1366 socket. Since your heat transfer plate can't grow over night, I doubt it will be supported. Not to mention that there will be 8 dim slots and they are on both sides of the cpu, so cooling ram is a bit useless.

Now, there is nothing saying that is how the x79 mobo will be like that. It could be completely different. However, for the moment it isn't looking good for your cooler.

Honestly though I would not upgrade to X79. It is too much money, and with ivy bridge on the way, it makes too much sense to upgrade to go with ivy bridge. Always always always go with new tech, not faster tech. As it is, a 2600K is perfectly fine for gaming and pretty much everything else. Ivy bridge will probably be overkill.

If you want to compare the Extreme Sandy bridge to ivy bridge, I would go with ivy bridge every time, and I suggest you do too.

No it will not have support, you wont have problems because it wont be supported. Yes, but you might want to consider a 1050 w just in case ;) .

Long answer. The x79 "proof of concept board " by gigabyte shows that the processor is going to be a bit bigger than a 1366 socket. Since your heat transfer plate can't grow over night, I doubt it will be supported. Not to mention that there will be 8 dim slots and they are on both sides of the cpu, so cooling ram is a bit useless.

Now, there is nothing saying that is how the x79 mobo will be like that. It could be completely different. However, for the moment it isn't looking good for your cooler.

Honestly though I would not upgrade to X79. It is too much money, and with ivy bridge on the way, it makes too much sense to upgrade to go with ivy bridge. Always always always go with new tech, not faster tech. As it is, a 2600K is perfectly fine for gaming and pretty much everything else. Ivy bridge will probably be overkill.

If you want to compare the Extreme Sandy bridge to ivy bridge, I would go with ivy bridge every time, and I suggest you do too.

thanks for the answer yeah i know ivy is on the way but i will skip ivy and run sandy bridge e until hasswell comes i think ill buy a ocz 1000w