Over Clocking Help

That's a shame because the Asus P6X58D-Premium is a great board, and of course we all know the brute i7 950 :)

You've got a pretty nice system and you'll only get a fraction of what you paid for it when you go to sell it. Then you'll have to

turn right around and buy more stuff (I'm assuming that you want to keep a desktop gaming rig).

You know, I'm almost thinking it might be worth your time and some change to buy a CM Hyper 212+ as a bench/test cooler, install it and see if things

get better. Now - in no way am I suggesting the the 212+ is a better heatsink than the Noctua, but it is a lot less expensive and won't break the bank.

If that fixes things then you have to assume it's a bad Noctua heatsink and you can go about RMAing it. Once you get it back you can just sell

the Hyper 212+ here. I don't think you'll have any problems with that. Worst case you're out maybe $20 in the long run.

If that doesn't do the trick the only other thing I can think of is a faulty temp diode(s) in the CPU itself.

Yeah, I am thinking about the same thing. It probably is my cooler being faulty because when I first got it, it was an amazing cooler. Idle at stock was 28C, and now it is 40C at stock. Not to mention load at idle was 50C and now load at stock is 75C. Obviously there is a huge problem. I have been thinking I might have done something, but now I can only guess that it IS the cooler. It still doesn't explain how other people are overclocking the 950 to 4 ghz on 1.3 volts and its taking me 1.4, but it might keep the temps under control if nothing else.

As for selling it, I won't be losing that much. I think I could pull off selling it on ebay for 1.4K because well.......people are idiots. Not to mention I received most of the parts for the computer as Christmas gifts : ) .

My biggest problem though is asus. These people are impossible. They are great for simple problems, but not for problems relating to this. It is not that they don't have an answer, but instead they don't want to tell me the answer. They all act if overclocking is a satanic ritual. While I am aware they might run into trouble if they indirectly ruin my mobo, THE MOBO WAS DESIGNED FOR OVERCLOCKING SO WHY NOT HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I am already aware the risks, so why can't they just have me give them a verbal recorded agreement that I wont sue them? Their logic just doesn't make sense.

See if I had to take my best guess as to the problem, I would say there are two. One is a bad heat sink, and the other is a bad voltage regulator. I wish asus could get their act together so I can send the mobo in and have them take a look at it.

Dose any one know how I could possibly trouble shoot to prove it is a bad voltage regulator?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic