Need help tweaking OC

AeroZ

From what? How?

Useless posts aren't any help

I don't see how it is degrading either - the only time at which they could "misunderstand" degradation, was when you ran p95 in the night, and found it stable (not really stable, since p95 doesn't stress SB at all), and then in the morning you tried LinX and needed to up the vCore to get it stable (degradation shows when you are stable with some voltage, but later in time, your system becomes instable, and you need to up the voltage to "reach stability" again - this is obviously not the right solution, since your are hurting your chip)

Regarding temps you should be safe with temps around 80, but I personally never allow my core temps above 72.6*C (tCase), but that's a bit extreme, since, from what I've heard, you can have core temps around 80 without letting the tCase get to 72.6*C

Regarding vCore, from what I've heard you shouldn't be worried - people have been had 24/7 voltages at 1.4-1.5 without any issues for months, but I personally keep below the recommended 1.35V from Intel, and only Intel can change my opinion - I am happy with 4.6GHz either way

Regarding secondary voltages:

You can bump the VCCSA up to 0.93750, no worries

VCCIO can be as high as 1.14

I've had my PLL as high as 1.803, without any risk of damage (it can probably go higher, but haven't got any numbers)

But really, let me quote Nuclear on this one:

You can run even lower if you'd like, I run 1.54v at 5.0GHz on my 2500k. Dropping the PLL will often allow you to become stable using a lower vcore and thus causing lower temps.

Another thing, you don't need Internal PLL Overvoltage before going 4.7GHz+, so disable that.

I've had my PCH at 1.07 without any risk of damage (it can probably go higher, but haven't got any numbers)

Another thing, if you've got good air flow in your computer, it's better to set phase and duty control to extreme.

This is my BIOS which made my system stable at 4.6GHz:

BCLK: 100.0

Turbo Ratio: By Per Core

Ratio Limits: 46

Internal PLL Overvoltage: Disabled <- not needed before 4.7GHz

Memory Frequency: DDR3-2133MHz <- you obviously need to choose the right setting for your RAM

EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled

DRAM Timing Control: According to X.M.P. Profile

Load-line Calibration: Ultra High

VRM Frequency: Manual

VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350

Phase Control: Extreme <- I've got good airflow

Duty Control: Extreme <- I've got good airflow

CPU Current Capability: 100%

CPU Voltage: Manual

CPU Manual Voltage: 1.310

DRAM Voltage: 1.65000 <-depends on your RAM

VCCSA Voltage: 0.9375

VCCIO Voltage: 1.1375 <- depends on your RAM

CPU PLL Voltage: 1.55 <- as low as my PLL will go while maintaining stability

PCH Voltage: 1.05000

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

But, since I am a wussy about temps, and had mine getting close to 72.6*C, I choose a different strategy after getting it stable at 4.4;

I tried to get the PLL as low as possible while still being stable, and then started bumping frequency and vCore until I reached 72.6*C or 1.35vCore

I won't recommend copying my BIOS settings, but rather read through my whole overclocking process - best to start AFTER I found out about LinX, since back when I used p95, I didn't really achieve stability;

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=185440&st=0&p=1929385&fromsearch=1entry1929385

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=185512&st=0&p=1930465&fromsearch=1entry1930465

About stress/stability testing, you only need to get through 20 passes in LinX using all RAM available, then you know your system is ROCK SOLID ;)

Yeah, internal PLL overvolt is disabled.

Latest stable settings are vcore 1.315v, PLL 1.75v. Changed overclocker to manual from XMP. Other settings are the same.

50 run LinX was stable. Overnight prime blend test also stable. Temps in LinX were max 75C and in prime 71C.

It seems that if i want to lower vcore then I have to up PLL to get stable.

BIOS settings:

AI Overclock Tuner = Manual

By All Cores = 45

Internal PLL Overvoltage = Disabled

LLC = Ultra High

VRM Frequency = 350

Phase Control change to = Extreme

Duty Control change to = T. Probe

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

C states are all enabled

vCore 1.315v

CPU PLL 1.75v

VCCIO 1.000v

VCCSA 0.925v

DIMM 1.500v

PCH 1.05v (default)

Maybe set PLL to 1.8v or 1.85v and try lower vcore to 1.310

Also good question if I got good air flow. I don't know. CPU cooler takes air from the front and pushes it out from the back. I got one 12cm fan in front and in back. Also got one 14cm and one 12cm fan on top pulling air out.

Edited by AeroZ