Mounting Accelero XTREME Plus II

Cor7ez

Hi guys,

I'm going to install this Accelero XTREME Plus II http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/376/accelero-xtreme-plus-ii.html?c=2182 on my HD 6850.

As it's my first time with such an operation I'm asking some tips on how NOT to fry my vga while mounting the cooler.

Has anyone some expertise ;) ?

thank you

Hi guys,

I'm going to install this Accelero XTREME Plus II http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/376/accelero-xtreme-plus-ii.html?c=2182 on my HD 6850.

As it's my first time with such an operation I'm asking some tips on how NOT to fry my vga while mounting the cooler.

Has anyone some expertise ;) ?

thank you

Do all your work in a static free environment a wooden or stone bench will be fine.

Carefully asses your card and locate everything that is holding down the ore existing cooler.

Remove everything holding the cooler to the pcb And carefully remove from pcb.

Clean of old tim and blow dust out from boar with compressed air.

Apply new tim and put down any thermal pads, if necessary, look in mounting instructions which should come with your cooler.

Make sure you don't apply too much tim ensure the cooler is firmly attached.

Run multiple temp monitoring programs and see if temps are sitting normally before doing anything with the card.

The cooling kit is excellently supplied with all that is needed for the installation.

With a weight of 0.9 kg I would consider a vga backplate to stiffen the card, so as to avoid any pcb bending. There may still be vga card to pcie slot sag or drop, but I have a 6970 with the heavy stock cooler and the sag seems fine.

Read through the instructions before and not while installing making sure that each step is understood and can be completed. There may be a step which needs something which is not readily available and the installation may come to a hault otherwise.

Mount the heatsink to the gpu in an 'x' pattern to ensure a flat mate. Screw each screw evenly down together. Put five turns on the bottom left then five turns on the top right etc.

Do a dry mount (no glue). Put the little heatsinks on the components to see how they line up together. Get an idea of where everything will fit and see how it looks.

Finally the installation will take at least two days if not three to complete. Take your time and have fun.

Now that I see step seven I think that two screws to mount the heatsink is not sufficient because of the unbalanced size of the heat pipe and fin assembly. I am reasonably sure the mount will tip on the heavier end and cause a heatsink to gpu gap. Ensure the installation of the mounting screws does not strip and is evenly tightened. ???

Thank you sticknstone and sorry for the late reply,

I'm a little overloaded these days! :) The thermal glue need 15 min to fix right? Then can I proceed to mount the main cooler over the gpu?