OC e8400 intel core 2 duo 3.0ghz to how much?

Banchan

Hi! New to forum.

I'm a noob.

So i can set in the bios my e8400 stock 3.0ghz to wutever multiplier and run easy at 3.4ghz.

i have a OCZ aftermarket heatsink.

I tried overlocking to 3.6 but it crashes sometimes. why? do i have change voltage and stuff? kept freezing...

can someone help me OC to 3.6-3.8ghz? ^^ i have a abit ip35e MO. Intel E8400 cpu.

post-78515-0-76281300-1313461849_thumb.png

You can get much more out of that CPU by upping the voltage. It will vary per chip, but your voltage should be around 1.25v. Do your research on the closest you can find to your chip and motherboard, work from those settings. Think of overclocking as tuning a radio, locking in to get the best signal.

You can get much more out of that CPU by upping the voltage. It will vary per chip, but your voltage should be around 1.25v. Do your research on the closest you can find to your chip and motherboard, work from those settings. Think of overclocking as tuning a radio, locking in to get the best signal.

so set my ram voltage to 1.25? i think it was 1.25? not sure...will check now. got a plextor SSD last week. ^^

Banchan, 1st off welcome to OCC :cheers:

2nd, you really aren't giving many details about your current system. I'm sure there are quite a few members here on OCC that either have an OCed E8400, or had one in the past. But, the best way is to 1st list all of the specs of the system you are trying to OC. You may wonder why say a video card would have anything to do with a CPU overclock. The answer is power consumption, maybe your PSU is already running near peak with your current setup and you don't have the extra needed juice to OC your CPU ;) There are many things that can contribute to you system crashing when trying to OC, this is why you need to list everything to help someone help you :thumbsup:

When Hyper was talking about 1.25v, he was talking about the CPU voltage, not ther RAM voltage. But to answer another question you asked about changing the "voltage and stuff," yes most of the time you are overclocking, you will need to make many changes in the BIOS. Overclocking is always a trial-and-error process. I am not extremely familiar with overclocking the Intel 775 chipset, as I was on the AMD side during those years. But, as I said, other OCC members here will be able to help :cheers: Maybe they are just asleep right now :)

I would start though with Hyper's suggestion and google "Intel E8400 overclocking guide" you should get a good start there!

thanks for the repsonse!

intel e8400 3.0ghz (pretty old...say bought like 4 yrs ago...)

abit ip35-e mobo

Plextor PX-M2 Series PX-128M2S 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (^^)

G Skill PC2-6400 2048MBx2 (running windows7. i have another set, but don't feel like upgrading to 64bit because I'm already happy with my setup...but I may reconsider someday.

need any more info?

for a while, the system used to overheat on stock fan OC (hot room). found out it was the memory and had to adjust the voltage. no problems since.

currently running at 3.4ghz but doesn't feel like it. gotta mess around a bit. got a 1TB caviar black inc tomorrow.

i want to run stably at 3.8ghz.

Banchan, 1st off welcome to OCC :cheers:

2nd, you really aren't giving many details about your current system. I'm sure there are quite a few members here on OCC that either have an OCed E8400, or had one in the past. But, the best way is to 1st list all of the specs of the system you are trying to OC. You may wonder why say a video card would have anything to do with a CPU overclock. The answer is power consumption, maybe your PSU is already running near peak with your current setup and you don't have the extra needed juice to OC your CPU ;) There are many things that can contribute to you system crashing when trying to OC, this is why you need to list everything to help someone help you :thumbsup:

When Hyper was talking about 1.25v, he was talking about the CPU voltage, not ther RAM voltage. But to answer another question you asked about changing the "voltage and stuff," yes most of the time you are overclocking, you will need to make many changes in the BIOS. Overclocking is always a trial-and-error process. I am not extremely familiar with overclocking the Intel 775 chipset, as I was on the AMD side during those years. But, as I said, other OCC members here will be able to help :cheers: Maybe they are just asleep right now :)

I would start though with Hyper's suggestion and google "Intel E8400 overclocking guide" you should get a good start there!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245859-29-motherboard-overclocking-e8400-0ghz

Getting the E8400 to 3.6Ghz is easy as pie. It will do it on stock volts and stock cooler without so much as a blink. It's only when the volts increase the stock cooler will suffer!

As for mobo's it depends on what gfx you run and if you maybe inclined to go for a SLI/Crossfire system.

I went for a Crossfire system so choose the Asus P5E X38 DDR2 version. I've been very impressed with it and all you'd need to do to o/c your system to 3.6 is increase the FSB to 400 . Getting to 4ghz stable requires a voltage increase to around the 1.42/1.44 point to account for the vdroop with 445 FSB.

[but mine froze @ 3.6ghz. can't test it out right now cuz i'm repairing a 1TB HD...taking like fckin 8hrs...wtf....)

Edited by Banchan