Antec Kuhler 920 Installed

You know all this talk about doing better you do realize that as you look at the various cooling solutions the cooling numbers begin to level off. In truth there is just a limit to how much cooling you can get.

Now while the 212+ might do a great job at a lower price cooling numbers are not the end of the picture when looking at coolers. You want to look at noise levels as well as ease of installation and how it effects the computer itself.

In the case of the slef contained liquid cooling solutions you gain a number of advanatges over traditional coolers. First the advantage that you are doing the same level of cooling with typically one less fan. Remember a tower cooler needs at least a single fan in the case besides the exhaust fan and many of them use two. The liquid solutions being discussed at the lower price points just use the existing fan slot for the exhuast fan in essence not adding a fan at all to the case.

The second advanatge is the removal of all the CPU heat from the case directly. Traditional coolers in effect blow the hot air back into the case air and then allow the case to exhasut the air. I have tested this and the sself contained coolers do result in a drop of the air inside the case this means cooling everything a little bit in essence.

Easier to work in the computer with self contained units as well. A good traditional unit needs a preety large heatsink to remove the heat this can restrict access to memory slots as well as limit memory selection entirely besides also making it harder to work on the computer while the heatsink is installed.

If all your care about is just the level of CPU cooling then your right an older style air unit will usually meet the needs. However if you want the extras then the higher cost of the self contained liquid system is justified.

OK I turned it back up to 4.8 GHz tonight with a 1.39 Vcore. Did Prime 95 for 1 hour with fans turned all the way up.

Max temps varied by program. According to HWMonitor, it was 80*C. According to RealTemps, it was 83*C. Majority of the test all 4 cores stayed in the high 70's (75-78).

IDLE before starting the test:

48ghz139vidle.th.png

1 Hour without errors:

48ghz139vp951hr.th.jpg

Temps:

48ghz139vtemps.th.jpg

Edited by LuckyDeath

I thought about going for it... it would no doubt take 1.4-1.41 vcore... I would be too chicken . to try Linpacks with that kind of voltage, but I could stomach a Prime95 test.

Well I've been trying for 5GHz... I've got the Vcore up to 1.45v and I can't get through Prime95 for more than 10-15 minutes without an error in one of the threads (no BSOD, just an error). I've got the RAM downclocked to 1333MHz, too. Highest temp in that run was 87*C. Probably wouldn't go much higher, as I've found once this thing hits equilibrium after 10 minutes of torture testing, it stays pretty much constant after that (even for the next hour at 100% load).

I will try more tomorrow I guess. I am calling it quits as soon as temps go over 90*C... so hopefully I can get a stable voltage before that point... what do you guys think? Can 1.46-1.48 do the trick for a couple more degrees? Any other settings that might help me out?