Building a new PC

Hello all,

Sorry, I just noticed I put this in the wrong category. Could someone move it to "Motherboards and Memory" for me? Thanx.

It's been several years since my last build so I've decided to build a new PC, the problem is there is a lot of change and more variety out there now than 4-5 years ago. :wacko:

General System Usage:

Audio/Video Editing/Encoding

Photo Editing

Computer programming

Rip/Burn Blu-ray and DVD’s

Watch Blu-Ray/DVD Movies

I will try some overclocking (Nothing crazy, for now and this is probably the best site to help me out with that also :D )

I'm not a gamer so it's not important in this setup.

Current Specs:

Motherboard – Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

CPU – AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

GPU - ATI Radeon X1300

Memory - OCZ PC2-6400 2x 1GB

Monitor - Samsung SyncMaster 915N 19"

Hard Drives - Western Digital 3x320GB, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

PSU – Enermax 530w

New Specs (still pretty flexible):

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (or maybe the Antec Nine Hundred Two, or Cooler Master HAF X)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V PRO (have)

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K (have)

CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ (have)

GPU: Unsure as of yet, but open to suggestions (under $300)

RAM: See below for details

Monitor: Samsung 24" (B2430H) (possibly 2)

Hard Drive OS: Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB (WD1500HLFS)

Hard Drives: Will use some of the above listed drives for data

PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750 Watt Power Supply

As for the RAM; I've read some reviews, but would still like some input from actual people that use the stuff in the real world (not simply pushing benchmarks, don't get me wrong they are helpful, but experience says a lot also).

RAM Options:

- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3-12800 Dual-Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB) (2x for 16GB)

- Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Dual-Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) w/ Intel XMP (2x for 16GB)

- Patriot Gamer 2 Series, Division 2 Edition DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800 Enhanced Latency Kit (2x for 16GB)

Or some other pretty good options that won't cost over $150/kit.

GPU Options:

- eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti SuperClocked 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI

- MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB PCI-E

- Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, Dual DisplayPort

Clearly there is room for some suggestions, but what I'm trying to acheive is a mid-high end video editing system at a reasonable cost.

I've also read the Videoguys recommendations, so I know that it's possible with losing my house.

Suggest away, I will consider them seriously and hopefully come up with a solution I'm happy with for at least the next 2-4 years.

Cheers,

ziggy1971 :cool2:

Edited by ziggy1971

for GPU's if you were going for a 1gig card in the 200-250 dollar price range id go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102949 since its $230 after rebate and it has a sick cooler and if you wanted a 6870 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127560&Tpk=msi%206870%20hawk this isnt bad at all both of these have nice cooling. the rest of your build looks great.

General System Usage:

Audio/Video Editing/Encoding

New Specs (still pretty flexible):

GPU: Unsure as of yet, but open to suggestions (under $300)

Depending on the program you are using for your decoding / encoding if it takes advantage of the intel Vsync you might consider just using the gpu on the cpu, if the program uses the CUDA from nvidia then i'd pick up a gt550 or better think best buy sells a pny gtx550 for 249

RAM: See below for details

I use the Corsair Vengance Ram in my 2600k setup and it's great I picked up 2x4gb sticks for 99.99 and got a 10 dollar mail in rebate as well.

Just to add if your not gaming then you don't need an awesome graphics card, buying a medium to high end card without a encoding software that uses the cuda stream processing is just a waste.

Hi,

For decoding videos, I use various apps depending on many factors like whether or not I need the whole video or just clips, etc, but I only use Sony Vegas for editing/encoding.

I thought that I would need a mid to high end video card for working with or watching HD video and that I might be using 2 or more monitors.

Hi,

For decoding videos, I use various apps depending on many factors like whether or not I need the whole video or just clips, etc, but I only use Sony Vegas for editing/encoding.

I thought that I would need a mid to high end video card for working with or watching HD video and that I might be using 2 or more monitors.

Na not for watching if your doing 2 monitors then you mainly just need one with alot of ram.

But anyway Sony Vegas uses CUDA plug in for GPU stream Encoding so in that case get the best Nvidia card you can for the money you have aloted, 550 560 and up would be good a 580 would compile and encode even faster.