Need some advice for OC

AeroZ

Hello,

I've been running my current setup for about two years and I'd like to push it a little bit futher.

I've read from the forums that Q6600 should go upto 3.4-3.6GHz and my RAM should work with 5-5-5-15 @ 1066MHz without problems.

I haven't tried much yet but if I upper the RAM voltage to 2.1v and set it to run @ 1066MHz then the pc just resets the BIOS when booting. So that doesn't work so easily.

What to do next or where to go from here?

Thanks!

Do you know if your Q6600 is a B3 or G0 stepping chip (you can check with CPU-Z)

This should give a ballpark of how well it will clock.

I'd overclock your quad before you try to push the ram, because realistically the CPU will net you noticeable gains whereas the memory will not for the most part.

Do you know if your Q6600 is a B3 or G0 stepping chip (you can check with CPU-Z)

This should give a ballpark of how well it will clock.

I'd overclock your quad before you try to push the ram, because realistically the CPU will net you noticeable gains whereas the memory will not for the most part.

It's a G0 chip.

Also I'm not sure about my current core voltage. CPU-Z shows 1.392 but BIOS shows 1.43 or 1.42 or something (can't remember the exact number at the moment).

Edited by AeroZ

I'd keep the voltage there and try pushing up the FSB even higher and don't change the voltage yet until it starts failing.

Maybe try 3.3ghz or 3.4ghz if you're feeling brave.

I think that 3.6ghz should be fairly straight forward in attaining, assuming that isn't a second gen G0 chip.

What cooler are you running??

Also while this is going on, I'd lower your memory divider even further just to pull that out of the equation for now!

I'd keep the voltage there and try pushing up the FSB even higher and don't change the voltage yet until it starts failing.

I think that 3.6ghz should be fairly straight forward in attaining, assuming that isn't a second gen G0 chip.

Also while this is going on, I'd lower your memory divider even further just to pull that out of the equation for now!

I don't remember the coolers model. It's Scythe's some model. It keeps temps pretty low tho. Around 30 in idle and 40 under load.

I tried with 3.3ghz (without lowering the memory divider) and got BSOD pretty quickly with Prime95. Then tried 3.3ghz with lower memory divider and also got BSOD pretty quickly.

Any further ideas?

Edited by AeroZ