Large QPI/DRAM (Uncore) vdroop?

Hello everyone!!

I have lurked around various overclocking forums for years, but never made an account and decided to become part of a community. I really like Overclockers Club, so I decided to make an account here! I have experience with overclocking, but tend to be a bit paranoid about my hardware. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this strange problem...

I recently got a replacement (new ASUS Rampage III formula) motherboard through RMA (The first one --same model-- developed a soundcard problem), and was tinkering around with OC'ing my i7 930 again. I have DDR3-2000Mhz (Supertalent CAS9 1.65v), so accordingly the uncore frequency has to be 4Ghz, which requires quite a bit of voltage to keep stable. The deal is I have set the uncore @ 1.5V in the bios, but it likes to keep around 1.422V idle and under load 1.415V. I don't remember anything like .085V vdroop before, but I haven't OC'ed an i7 in a while. It is not Prime95 or OCCT stable as it stands, but I am afraid to further push the BIOs setting. 1.5V always worked for me on the Rampage III before, but I don't remember what the real voltage delivered was.

Does your guys' i7 CPUs keep the voltages closer to your BIOS settings? I've got full load line calibration to control vdroop of my vcore voltage, and I heard that there may be a jumper setting that could enable LLC for QPI/Uncore. I'll probably try that soon, but I never needed to do that before, and I'm not sure what the implications are because I haven't found much about LLC on the Uncore. I just wanted to know if you guys have experienced something similar. Thanks so much!

Windows 7 Pro x64

Core i7 930 @ 3.5Ghz (1.2v vcore 167 x 21) (I thought this was the problem at first, but it doesn't seem to matter what the CPU frequency/voltage is. This is the same setting the old Rampage III had)

ASUS Rampage III Forumla x58

3 x 2GB Supertalent DDR3-2000Mhz CAS9

AMD HD Radeon 5870

850W Cosair PSU

Edited by 90sgamer

More info:

Sorry, I misspoke... vdroop is NOT the drop between BIOS setting and actual voltage, but the difference between idle voltage and load voltage. I feel kind of stupid now I was up all night and posted that at around 4 or 5AM. Don't know that I was thinking haha. (I swear I didn't look it up and come back here, I was just re-reading my post and saw vdroop and... :pfp: )

Anyway, for an update: I upped the QPI/DRAM (uncore) voltage BIOS setting to 1.525V and at idle it fluctuates wildly from 1.455V to 1.462V to 1.475V (as well as some in between there). With OCCT 3.1.0 running, the voltage started out with 1.455V and dropped to 1.44V and then 1.435, 1.429, and back to 1.449, and back to 1.422V. Thats a whole .103V less than the BIOS setting and .053V vdroop. Could something be wrong with my integrated memory controller?

Thanks a bunch.

Alex

Alright, I solved the problem. I managed to dig up the manual for the mobo, and found the kicker:

The new motherboard I got had the jumper for QPI/DRAM LLC to the OFF position. According to the manual, the jumper should be ON by default, so I assume it is safe. After switching the jumper, I now have have a stable system. The 1.5V in the Bios delivers between 1.468V and 1.5V. Problem solved. :woo:

Thanks anyway guys!

90s, I'll just confirm for you........... (better late than never)

On the various x58 boards and i7 cpus I've played with when running DDR3 2000 or above memory speed, there is a lot of QPI/VTT droop unless you set the appropriate m/b jumper (if so equipped) and make the necessary vdroop setting changes in the BIOS. I've gotten into debates at other m/b forums when users claim they are running DDR3 2000 memory speeds with a QPI of 1.25v - because in my experience it just hasn't been possible with most brands of memory.

Which makes me wonder why the m/b manufactures don't just hard set low vdroop for QPI on the board and in the BIOS. I guess that's another topic though :)