2600k max oc for 24/7

Yeah, yet another 2600k, but I'd sure like some suggestions and comparisons if anyone is willing. I'm looking to get the highest possible max overclock to run my computer 24/7, and right now my thoughts on voltages is to stay at 1.49v or lower with 79c or lower. I've been playing around with it for quite some time and right now I'm at 1.49 voltage in bios, with 4.89Ghz. been running prime for about 3 hours now and temps have peaked at 78c and sit around 75c load. If I lower voltage even by .005, i BSOD within an hour. My PLC voltage is at 1.84 and my LLC is at level 1. Level 2 lets me run prime stable at much lower voltages with a little bit higher temps, but for some reason it seems to BSOD my computer completely randomly when I do stuff like open a game or watch a youtube video.

System specs due to not enough posts for sig quite yet:

Win 7 Ultimate x64

i7 2600k @4.7ghz 1.4v

Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3 F2

2x GTX 460 SLI @ 865 / 1983

2x 2gb gskill 1866mhz @ 1600mhz

2x 750gb wd

Corsair 850w.

Haf 932

Watercooling with apogee XT / MCP655 pump, black ice xtreme III rad

Edited by SoundChaos

Check one of my sig links...

I manage 24/7 overclocks for the i5 2500k and i7 2600k into two sections. One is the Intel recommended safe overclocks. That means CPU Voltages not getting past 1.35v, and temps not going above 72.6C.

Those that aren't afraid to push the voltages because they can keep their temps in check to below 72.6C, I think that's fine. With my 120.4 rad, I'm sure I can keep temps below 72.6C up to 4.8GHz, maybe even 5.0GHz, but I wouldn't run that 24/7... maybe for benching, but that's about it.

Thanks for the reply, your post there definitely helped with my comparisons, another problem ive been having is that I cant find a way to measure voltage accurately in OS, cpuz shows 1.068 no matter what i set it at in bios, other programs like coretemp show it as 1.39 or stock Everest shows 1.42 right now and doesn't fluctuate at all, so its possible thats right, but i cant image it means im at 1.49 in the bios

That's odd. Do you have the latest version of CPU-Z? Does your motherboard have it's own overclocking utility? Usually they'll show the most accurate voltage readings, especially if nothing else is working quite right.

As far as overclocks, the sweet spot is 4.4Ghz - 4.6GHz. At around 4.7Ghz and higher, especially 4.8Ghz, a lot of voltage is needed.

I agree, it baffles me. Im on CPUZ 1.57 now, ive tried to uninstall/reinstall, as well as use multiple other older versions as well. Good idea though, Im looking for some gigabyte utilites to see if any will work better for me

Edited by SoundChaos

UPDATE: Ok, so far, things are getting better. Im at 4.9ghz 1.375 voltage in bios, and 1.428 in windows via gigabytes EasyTune6 program for the ud7 motherboard since cpu-z refuses to work for me. Stability increased when i lowered PLL voltage back to stock, and increased my timings on my memory to 9-9-9-24 as compared to 8-8-8-24. Max temps are 72c.

Question now is, on this watercooling loop I have for just my cpu, does anyone know wether it would actually lower my temps to shorten my tubes down? Or any other ideas to get better cooling would be nice as well. I have a nice chunk of excess sagging tubing as seen below

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/Soundchaos/jpg.jpg

UPDATE: Ok, so far, things are getting better. Im at 4.9ghz 1.375 voltage in bios, and 1.428 in windows via gigabytes EasyTune6 program for the ud7 motherboard since cpu-z refuses to work for me. Stability increased when i lowered PLL voltage back to stock, and increased my timings on my memory to 9-9-9-24 as compared to 8-8-8-24. Max temps are 72c.

Question now is, on this watercooling loop I have for just my cpu, does anyone know wether it would actually lower my temps to shorten my tubes down? Or any other ideas to get better cooling would be nice as well. I have a nice chunk of excess sagging tubing as seen below

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/Soundchaos/jpg.jpg

I don't water cool but, with the water cooling how thick is your Rad? how many fans? how good is the contact between the waterblock and the cpu? have you lapped both?

i'm still twiddling my thumbs to get stuck into my 2600-k im rocking 4.565 GHz on the stock intel cooler while i wait for my 1155 socket mount for the CNPS9700 to arrive in Aus.

my processor isnt lapped, but the waterblock came lapped to a mirror like surface, my rad is 40mm thick, 360 long with 3 110 cfm fans (scythe slipstream), and my waterblock is snug against the cpu with arctic m4 paste.

my temps jumped up to 80c when i woke up this morning after running prime for about 12 hours :/ the small FFT's heat it up way more than large or blend. Also my tubes and res have now become foggy and its only been 3 days. i cleaned out everything but the waterblock with distilled water and the rad with vinegar.. maybe i didnt get all the vinegar out of the rad before i installed it? I'm going to clean all my components with hot water again and refill with a more purified solution of distilled water, less concentration of anti-corrosives and anti-algae.

btw what are your temps with the stock cooler at those speeds?

Edited by SoundChaos

my processor isnt lapped, but the waterblock came lapped to a mirror like surface, my rad is 40mm thick, 360 long with 3 110 cfm fans (scythe slipstream), and my waterblock is snug against the cpu with arctic m4 paste.

my temps jumped up to 80c when i woke up this morning after running prime for about 12 hours :/ the small FFT's heat it up way more than large or blend. Also my tubes and res have now become foggy and its only been 3 days. i cleaned out everything but the waterblock with distilled water and the rad with vinegar.. maybe i didnt get all the vinegar out of the rad before i installed it? I'm going to clean all my components with hot water again and refill with a more purified solution of distilled water, less concentration of anti-corrosives and anti-algae.

btw what are your temps with the stock cooler at those speeds?

don't ask! there is no load going into the system at the moment its currently sitting on an insulated frame on glass out of the p182 case. on a blend with 8 threads it screams to 85c in about 2 seconds. I need to figure out if my zalman will fit straight on the 1155 with its existing bracket. Work is getting in the way of having nerdy fun.

Thanks for the reply, your post there definitely helped with my comparisons, another problem ive been having is that I cant find a way to measure voltage accurately in OS, cpuz shows 1.068 no matter what i set it at in bios, other programs like coretemp show it as 1.39 or stock Everest shows 1.42 right now and doesn't fluctuate at all, so its possible thats right, but i cant image it means im at 1.49 in the bios

You have to look at CPU-z when there is a load on the CPU.