Phenom II 965

I just got my new CPU cooler and now ready to overclock my CPU. I'm new to overclocking so I'm not sure of all the voltages I need to change. I was wondering if anybody else could help me with the BIOS settings. I have a:

MSI 790FX-GD70 MOBO

Phenom II 965 CPU

Noctua NH-D14 Cooler

Phantom case

Antec Earthwat 650 PSU

XFX 5770 x2 GPU

Patriot Viper Series running at 1333

I have tried various settings I've seen on some fourms, but can't get them to pass Prime95. I got it to run awhile with 1.55v CPU and 1.44v NB CPU. Never got over 57c, so cooling shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any help.

OK, hold on there with the voltage changes. If your new I wouldn't touch those. For starters you only need to change the CPU multiplier for a basic OC. Try resenting those voltages back to stock then use the CPU multiplier.(you can use the other multiplier if you want but you are just trying to OC your CPU for now right?)

one more thing how much do you want to OC to?

and what is your current OC.

I only changed the voltage based on someone BIOS setting. I want to OC the most my CPU will take. I heard some people got it to 4ghz, but most get to 3.9ghz. I did my rsearch and bought the best cooler out there besides custom water loops, so I could push it.

I took everything back to stock lvls for now because I couldn't pass Prime95, waiting for a little more advice. Stock lvl temps is 25c idle, 46c full load.

Welcome to OCC Coltskorner!

Generally the best way to overclock your CPU is to test out how well your own hardware can run by trial and error. Copying someone else's "profile" in a sense, won't always work on your CPU and motherboard combination and won't allow you to really learn anything about overclocking.

If you want decent clocks and develop a better understanding of what is going on, then I would suggest starting from the bottom and working your way up until you reach your hardware's limit.

Here is a great guide for overclocking Phenom II's which will hopefully allow you to understand your CPU/bios settings better and get you up to the speed your hardware can handle. :)

I've played with it a little, got it at 3.6ghz right now. Going to try some more tomorrow. Hoping for 4ghz, but would be ok with a good 3.9ghz. Don't think you can get to 4ghz with just straight OCing

Yes, I did with a X6, look at my sig.