i7 720qm max amount of memory and HDD? and 840qm

Hi..

I want to ask about upgrading RAM on i7 720qm platform.. I see it in http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43122&processor=i7-720QM&spec-codes=SLBLY it is said that the i7 720qm max memory is 8GB DDR3. But a friend of mine just bought a laptop with i7 740qm, both of the processors aren't quite different.. the seller said that the memory can be upgraded to 16GB of max... (4 slots) which one is true?

and what is the maximum capacity of HDD for this processor? Can I upgrade it to 1.5TB?

and one more question, is it worth enough to upgrade the processor from i7 720qm to i7 840qm? http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=43125&processor=i7-840QM&spec-codes=SLBMP

usage: gaming, editing and rendering with Adobe After Effects CS5, Autodesk Maya and 3Ds Max, drawing..

Thanks for the answers..

regards

Edited by Liclac

The amount of memory you can use on your system(or any system) is usually determined by the motherboard, operating system, & cpu.

I would guess the limiting factor in your case would be that your motherboard was manufactured to use up to only 8 gigs

of memory even though your processor and os are able to utilize more. you would have to check your motherboard specifications to be sure.

Motherboard manufacturers will often limit the amount of ram you can install to reduce their manufacturing costs,

especially on their less expensive boards.

As far as harddrives go, knock yourself out! You can run multiple 1.5 tb harddrives, or larger if you wish.

I'll leave your upgrade question to someone more experenced with Intel, as I prefer AMD myself.

The amount of memory you can use on your system(or any system) is usually determined by the motherboard, operating system, & cpu.

I would guess the limiting factor in your case would be that your motherboard was manufactured to use up to only 8 gigs

of memory even though your processor and os are able to utilize more. you would have to check your motherboard specifications to be sure.

Motherboard manufacturers will often limit the amount of ram you can install to reduce their manufacturing costs,

especially on their less expensive boards.

As far as harddrives go, knock yourself out! You can run multiple 1.5 tb harddrives, or larger if you wish.

I'll leave your upgrade question to someone more experenced with Intel, as I prefer AMD myself.

thanks, I understand now about that... thank you for the answer!