Blocking files

Interimo

Alright, so recently, a family member has started to use my computer on an account I made for them. I made them a Limited access user, so they can't screw up anything in my admin account which is blocked by a password. However, I noticed that they can gain access to my files through Computer>Local Disk (C:)>Users>Users>(my name). I was wondering if there was a way to cut that path off, since they tend to become mischievious sometimes. I'm using Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Also, I was wondering if there was a way to password file folders while already inside my account. Like, say I want to block off the background music for a game with a password. How would I go about doing that without creating a .rar/.zip file?

Thanks,

Interimo

Edited by Interimo

You can block them from viewing certain files and folders by using NTFS permissions just right the Folder > Properties > Security > there should be a guest account listed just select it and deny them all permissions to the file.

I don't know about password protecting a file but you can encrypt them using the windows EFS feature to do this just right click on the Folder > Properties > Advance > and then check Encrypt Contents to secure data and then that folder and everything in it will be encrypted and what happens is the file stays encrypted until you click it and then it will decrypt it self allowing you access to the encrypted files.

Last time I read about EFS is the encryption and decryption are based on your windows password so if you change it or forget it in some cases you will be not be able to decrypt those files so just be ware of that.

Also the files have to be decrypted when there accessed which takes a little extra time which is not really noticeable if the folder is small but if you have a large one it could slow down your computer.

Edited by fire_storm

You can block them from viewing certain files and folders by using NTFS permissions just right the Folder > Properties > Security > there should be a guest account listed just select it and deny them all permissions to the file.

You can do this on your user folder in C:/Users/[username] and as long as you have a password on your account they shouldn't be able to see anything.

Thanks for the help, guys. That really helped me out. Now, to find out how to put passwords on folders that are in my account.

They should require any other user to enter your login/password if you lock them out as outlined above.

They should require any other user to enter your login/password if you lock them out as outlined above.

Nono, I mean, I want to password them, even to myself. Like, I want to be in my own account, and when I go to access the folder, I want to enter a password to get into it.

Nono, I mean, I want to password them, even to myself. Like, I want to be in my own account, and when I go to access the folder, I want to enter a password to get into it.

Oh.

No clue. :lol: