Option to change Voltage in Bios

Now you got it :)

As far as getting another power supply - that one is totally up to you. Again, I'd say if your rig is running fine and stable then ride that pony till she bucks you off.

If you've got a good vendor you buy power supplies from, and your budget allows, or you just want to - post up some of the power supplies you're looking at and we'd be happy to review and comment.

Alright thanks .

And is this statement true ? the sentenced i highlighted

"

Multiple 12V rails explained:

With ATX12V 2.0 and later, 2 or more 12V rails was introduced to comply with safety regulations (no more than 20A / 240W on any one user accessible wire). The way this is done in every PSU except for a couple of very high end PSU's such as Enermax Galaxy 1kw is that there is still only one 12V power source, which is then split in two or more 'rails' via current limiters (typically set to around 18-20A, even if PSU label says its less). This means that when comparing multi 12V rail PSU's, the combined 12V rating (in amps) is what matters, and how many 12V rails there are. The individual 12V rail capacities are basically irrelevant unless the PSU label says it has more than 20A available on an individual 12V rail. Also since the only thing that makes them 'split' is current limiters (which do nothing unless they are tripped), there is really NO stability / overclocking advantage in having dual or more 12V rails compared to an equivalent single 12V rail PSU. SilentPCReview explains further.

"

i got it from http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Power_Supply_Unit#What_To_Look_For

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think that is a fairly accurate statement - except for the author's rather limited list of PSU's that have true multiple rails versus those that are split internally.

However, combined amperage is an important number, as well as rated capacity at certain efficiency and temperature thresh holds.

I especially agree with the last statement that says "there is really NO stability / overclocking advantage in having dual or more 12V rails compared to an equivalent single 12V rail PSU"

And I would further emphasize that the more rails there are, the more complicated it becomes when trying to load each rail equally.

That is why I stay with strictly single rail power supplies.

Maybe our local power supply guru (Paulktreg) will stop by and add his two cents.

Edited by wevsspot

Fred, have you set a budget yet for the graphics card purchase?

What's the native resolution of your monitor?

How often do you game, and what games do you play most frequently?

Are you sensitive to noise from your video card or just balls to the wall regardless of fan noise?

Those are just a few of the questions to answer when selecting a video card and making sure you get the right card, at the right performance level, and at the right price.

However, with all that being said - since you current video card is on the low end of the spectrum - something like a nVidia GTX 460 would be a solid choice at a great price point.

Fred, have you set a budget yet for the graphics card purchase?

What's the native resolution of your monitor?

How often do you game, and what games do you play most frequently?

Are you sensitive to noise from your video card or just balls to the wall regardless of fan noise?

Those are just a few of the questions to answer when selecting a video card and making sure you get the right card, at the right performance level, and at the right price.

However, with all that being said - since you current video card is on the low end of the spectrum - something like a nVidia GTX 460 would be a solid choice at a great price point.

My budget is around $150

Buying a monitor with 1440 x 900

I can take average noise and i have my case open and it's right beside me . :/

Alright will consider that , anyway what's the average lifespan of a GPU that hasnt been overclocked ? i'm thinking of getting a 2nd hand gpu .

Thanks

Edited by freddwzz

A video card that has been properly cared for, mfg. by a reputable company, and never pushed balls to the wall will last a lifetime - or at least long enough until you're ready to upgrade :)

PM me about a video card. I may be able to help you out if you're stateside.

You can. But are you going to cut out a panel in the back of the case at the bottom?

The power supply will need to have the rear facing vents open so it can dispel heat. Also be careful with the power supply fan orientation.

I'm assuming your case isn't designed to have the power supply at the bottom, so there won't be any intake for the power supply fan - so you'll need to make sure and orient the power supply so the fan is facing upwards when you install it.

Really those are the only two considerations.

Don't block the rear vent holes of the power supply.

Make sure the power supply fan is facing upwards so it can draw in air to cool it.

You can. But are you going to cut out a panel in the back of the case at the bottom?

The power supply will need to have the rear facing vents open so it can dispel heat. Also be careful with the power supply fan orientation.

I'm assuming your case isn't designed to have the power supply at the bottom, so there won't be any intake for the power supply fan - so you'll need to make sure and orient the power supply so the fan is facing upwards when you install it.

Really those are the only two considerations.

Don't block the rear vent holes of the power supply.

Make sure the power supply fan is facing upwards so it can draw in air to cool it.

My case is kinda like this http://www.algo.jp/shop/product/complete/comp-imge/iCute-02.jpg but my board is a mini atx and i'm not using the additional pci slots . My only issue is whether it will vibrate and since you did not list that problem , i think i'm good to go :) . thanks once again

If you're going to rest the power supply at the bottom of the case, easy enough to put some foam or rubber pads down there to give you some vibration/sound proofing.

Good luck. Snap some pics if you get a chance and let us see how it turned out.

Have a great weekend.

Wev

If you're going to rest the power supply at the bottom of the case, easy enough to put some foam or rubber pads down there to give you some vibration/sound proofing.

Good luck. Snap some pics if you get a chance and let us see how it turned out.

Have a great weekend.

Wev

Decided not to do it because the 4pin cpu connector will be dangling in the middle lol :)

Some new issues , I've bought a 2nd hand Palit 4850 Sonic and it's giving me problems and killed my LCD monitor . It was clocked 685 and i OCed it to 735 and tested with GPUtool without any problem for 1 hour . Then i went on playing PCSX2 and suddenly my monitor flashes RED BLUE GREEN WHITE and it never recovered so i thought the GPU died but no it didn't . I took my old CRT monitor and it worked . I then downclocked the gpu to 710 and it's stable in GPUtool and even crysis 2 but when i play PCSX2 for around 40mins , my whole system crashed again . Temps are 42+/- and max at 62 load , so it couldnt be temp problem :/

What could be the problem ? Driver related ? i'm using 11.3 it seems to be the latest . Or 4850 doesnt work well for PCSX2