Option to change Voltage in Bios

Sounds like a plan. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi , I've changed my generic 500w psu to a 480w with dual rail 15a/16a . Will it be good enough to run q6600 @ 3ghz ? and i'm planning to upgrade my GPU , any recommendation ?

Currently already OC to 332 x 9 with DRAM running at 415mhz . 33-35 @ idle and 50-53 real load .

And my current GPU doesnt require additional power , so where does it draw it's power from ? from the 1st +12v rail or ? Same for the mobo , does it also draw from the 1st 12v rail ? if that's the case , am i wasting my 2nd +12v ?

Edited by freddwzz

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The PCIe slot pulls both 12V and 3.3V from the 12 volt and 3.3v volt rails. If you are only using one of the two available rails, then yes you are "wasting" the second rail. You need to look at the detailed installation instructions or wiring diagram of your power supply to determine what connectors are loaded onto each of the rails. Then carefully load each rail accordingly.

Edited by wevsspot

The PCIe slot pulls both 12V and 3.3V from the 12 volt and 3.3v volt rails. If you are only using one of the two available rails, then yes you are "wasting" the second rail. You need to look at the detailed installation instructions or wiring diagram of your power supply to determine what connectors are loaded onto each of the rails. Then carefully load each rail accordingly.

So is my GPU card drawing from the same rail as my CPU ? the 4+4pin is the only +12v used right now . So am i better off getting a GPU that needs additional power if it's a dual rail psu ?

Cant answer your question until you give us the make and model of the power supply you bought.

If it's a decent power supply they dedicated one rail to the ATX 24 /ATX 8 pin connectors and put the remaining SATA, molex, PCIe connectors etc. on the other rail.

Cant answer your question until you give us the make and model of the power supply you bought.

If it's a decent power supply they dedicated one rail to the ATX 24 /ATX 8 pin connectors and put the remaining SATA, molex, PCIe connectors etc. on the other rail.

Here's the link http://www.andysonet.com/product_dm/G%20Series.pdf . i'm using the g480 . Thanks

Their site didn't give any detailed electrical schematics dealing with how the internal wiring is configured, and I couldn't find a users manual either showing the recommended connections when you install it in your pc.

All we can do now is assume that the ATX 20+4 and ATX 8-pins are on a dedicated rail.

Your current video card is a GTX480?

Their site didn't give any detailed electrical schematics dealing with how the internal wiring is configured, and I couldn't find a users manual either showing the recommended connections when you install it in your pc.

All we can do now is assume that the ATX 20+4 and ATX 8-pins are on a dedicated rail.

Your current video card is a GTX480?

There's no manual in the box either .

My vga now is GT130 and it doesn't require external power , should i get a vga that require a external power to optimize the output ?

Fred - either way your video card is capable of pulling up to 75W from the PCIe slot (of course depending on the power draw of your video card).

Here is what I'd do. Don't worry so much about the loading on the primary rail that supplies your 20+4 and 8-pin ATX connections.

Instead, equally distribute your peripheral among the remaining molex/sata connections available. You probably have two or more strings coming out of the power supply that have multiple molex/sata connections. Put half of your peripherals on one "string" and the other half on the other. Fire it up and see how it goes.

You're kind of approaching the problem backwards - because any video card that requires an additional 6-pin or 8-pin PCIe power plug is going to draw more power from your power supply, not less. The added power plugs are there because the PCIe socket can't provide enough "juice" to properly run the card without additional external power sources (such as the 6-pin or 8-pin PCIe power plug).

Edited by wevsspot

Fred - either way your video card is capable of pulling up to 75W from the PCIe slot (of course depending on the power draw of your video card).

Here is what I'd do. Don't worry so much about the loading on the primary rails that supply your 20+4 and 8-pin ATX connections.

Instead, equally distribute your peripheral among the remaining molex/sata connections available. You probably have two or more strings coming out of the power supply that have multiple molex/sata connections. Put half of your peripherals on one "string" and the other half on the other. Fire it up and see how it goes.

You're kind of approaching the problem backwards - because any video card that requires an additional 6-pin or 8-pin PCIe power plug is going to draw more power from your power supply, not less. The added power plugs are there because the PCIe socket can't provide enough "juice" to properly run the card without additional external power sources (such as the 6-pin or 8-pin PCIe power plug).

Yep all the peripherals are already spread thoroughly . My system is running fine but i'm just wondering which +12v rail the VGA draw it's power from .If my current VGA and CPU and is drawing from the same +12v , wouldnt it be better if i get a VGA that uses the external power and draws from the 2nd +12v .

Thanks

Your current gpu is pulling from the same 12v rail that supplies power to the 20+4 and 8 pin ATX connectors. Lets call that rail "motherboard power". The motherboard power also supplies the juice to the PCIe slot(s). The PCIe slot(s) are capable of delivering up to 75w to your video card. Any video card requiring a higher draw would require an auxillary PCIe plug. So that leads us to the assumption that a new video card with an auxillary PCIe power plug would draw all 75 watts from the PCIe slot as well as the power delivered through the auxillary connector. Effectively negating your proposal.

If you're rig is running fine I wouldn't worry with it. But yours is a perfect example of why I endorsed power supplies with a single high powered rail with plenty of amps. Then you don't have to worry about loading or cross-loading :)

Your current gpu is pulling from the same 12v rail that supplies power to the 20+4 and 8 pin ATX connectors. Lets call that rail "motherboard power". The motherboard power also supplies the juice to the PCIe slot(s). The PCIe slot(s) are capable of delivering up to 75w to your video card. Any video card requiring a higher draw would require an auxillary PCIe plug. So that leads us to the assumption that a new video card with an auxillary PCIe power plug would draw all 75 watts from the PCIe slot as well as the power delivered through the auxillary connector. Effectively negating your proposal.

If you're rig is running fine I wouldn't worry with it. But yours is a perfect example of why I endorsed power supplies with a single high powered rail with plenty of amps. Then you don't have to worry about loading or cross-loading :)

Even if i get a GPU that needs an external power , it will still use up the 75 watts from the "motherboard power" . Did i get it ? Should i change my PSU again ? My CPU alone takes 100w and there's only 15a on the 1st rail .

Thanks for explaining to a newbie lol

Edited by freddwzz

Now you got it :)

As far as getting another power supply - that one is totally up to you. Again, I'd say if your rig is running fine and stable then ride that pony till she bucks you off.

If you've got a good vendor you buy power supplies from, and your budget allows, or you just want to - post up some of the power supplies you're looking at and we'd be happy to review and comment.