Overclocking RAM + FSB:DRAM?

I've been trying to pull the most out of my 1600Mhz Patriot G Series 'sector 5' 4Gb DDR3 RAM by overclocking, and I need some help. I've gotten them to 8-8-8-20 with a slight voltage boost; now I've become sucked into FSB:DRAM ratios, I can't really find anything about it on the web besides 1:1 ratios, which appear to apply to DDR2. I had a FSB:DRAM ratio of 4:20, then I upped my CPU Ratio (BUS speed) to 200Mhz (from 160 OC'd) and changed my RAM DRAM freq .(is it the RAM multiplier?) to 4 (from 5) to stay at 1600Mhz instead of 1800Mhz, now I'm running at 4:16. Maybe some CPU-Z pictures, will make more sense (below). I'm mainly asking for some help regarding FSB:DRAM and general overclocking, thanks. :)

Pretty sure the FSB: DRAM Frequency is the same as: FSB/[(Real) DRAM Frequency] = 4/16

(by "Real" I mean half the rated DRAM Frequency due to Double Data Rate memory)

This would mean that:

FSB = 4/16 * (Real) DRAM Frequency

= 1/4 * 800 MHz

= 200MHz

Which is your current FSB or Bus Speed in that screen shot.

Edited by Alexandre

The FSB is 200Mhz, that makes sense Alexandre, thanks. Should I use a 4:16 (1:4) FSB:DRAM ratio instead of a 4:20 (1:5) FSB:DRAM ratio? Or does it really matter? I've changed my settings, I'm now running a FSB of 170Mhz, RAM is 1700Mhz (853Mhz) 8-8-8-20, CPU is 3.4Ghz with a multiplier of 20. I ran 20 tests of Intel Burn Test on maximum and 7 hours of Prime 95 blender, not even a shudder. :D I love overclocking, can't wait till I have my GPU and can really see how this thing preforms.

Here's a new pic of CPU-Z with the newest settings:

Edited by xxmastermushxx

The FSB is 200Mhz, that makes sense Alexandre, thanks. Should I use a 4:16 (1:4) FSB:DRAM ratio instead of a 4:20 (1:5) FSB:DRAM ratio? Or does it really matter? I've changed my settings, I'm now running a FSB of 170Mhz, RAM is 1700Mhz (853Mhz) 8-8-8-20, CPU is 3.4Ghz with a multiplier of 20. I ran 20 tests of Intel Burn Test on maximum and 7 hours of Prime 95 blender, not even a shudder. :D I love overclocking, can't wait till I have my GPU and can really see how this thing preforms.

Here's a new pic of CPU-Z with the newest settings:

The 4:20 ratio just has a higher DRAM Frequency overclock to the 4:16 ratio. You got some really nice memory there! Getting some good clocks on those sticks with tight timings :) I'm liking your build more and more! :popcorn:

Glad you are enjoying overclocking! It's addictive. :evilgrin:

Just remember that you are lowering the life expectancy of your computer by overclocking it - so don't go too crazy lol.

I'm done with overclocking the RAM, I just wanted to them at 8-8-8-20. While this OC will shorten their life-span, by then new RAM will be out and lets face it, RAM is a lot cheaper than a good CPU. :)

I'm sort of confused by your response: "The 4:20 ratio just has a higher DRAM Frequency overclock to the 4:16 ratio." Are you suggesting that I OC to the 4:16 or that 4:20 is just a higher DRAM frequency of 4:16?

Thanks

I'm done with overclocking the RAM, I just wanted to them at 8-8-8-20. While this OC will shorten their life-span, by then new RAM will be out and lets face it, RAM is a lot cheaper than a good CPU. :)

I'm sort of confused by your response: "The 4:20 ratio just has a higher DRAM Frequency overclock to the 4:16 ratio." Are you suggesting that I OC to the 4:16 or that 4:20 is just a higher DRAM frequency of 4:16?

Thanks

4:20 is just a higher DRAM frequency of 4:16 because with the 4:16 ratio DRAM Frequency = FSB*4 while with the 4:20 ratio DRAM Frequency = FSB*5.