E8400 OC... again

iskout

The multi is locked. I was considering using 1066 RAM, but my chipset has the ability to "Unsync" the RAM and FSB (It sets the ratio to whatever is necessary to keep it below whatever you input), and I've never gone past 801 MHz on my RAM. I might have better luck with 1066, though. Luckily, I have a friend who happens to have 1066 RAM.

Edited by iskout

The multi is unlocked. I was considering using 1066 RAM, but my chipset has the ability to "Unsync" the RAM and FSB (It sets the ratio to whatever is necessary to keep it below whatever you input), and I've never gone past 801 MHz on my RAM. I might have better luck with 1066, though. Luckily, I have a friend who happens to have 1066 RAM.

The CPU multi is not unlocked. It is only adjustable between 6x and 9x.

I had forgotten about the "unsync option".

Really? Man, either my memory is way messed up, or I had one helluva chip. It was also OC'ed to 3.8GHz on a 1.125V Vcore...lol shouldn't have sold it @_@

Just a question... Did you have to disable "Execute Disable Bit" in your BIOS to OC that high?

The multi is unlocked. I was considering using 1066 RAM, but my chipset has the ability to "Unsync" the RAM and FSB (It sets the ratio to whatever is necessary to keep it below whatever you input), and I've never gone past 801 MHz on my RAM. I might have better luck with 1066, though. Luckily, I have a friend who happens to have 1066 RAM.

With my particular board, it was finnicky about unsyncing it. Give it a shot, but try out that 1066MHz RAM, because I'm fairly confident that will help increase the OC. (Plus I want to see since I never had 1066 of my own while I had mine to try it out :D)

The CPU multi is not unlocked. It is only adjustable between 6x and 9x.

I had forgotten about the "unsync option".

I meant locked, lol. My bad. I'm on 1 hour of sleep and I've been daydreaming of my nice cozy bed after my next class.

It's usually enabled by default.

Then there ya have it. I would have looked but I'm at work. When I was OCing my E8400, I was following that old "How to Overclock C2D's and C2Q's" thread from ages and ages and ages ago...around my join date, actually.