Overclocking an I7-950

Ronsanut

Okay here is my current setup/build. I am new to this , only have tried using the manufacturer quick and easy OC utilities. For this I have tried to use the MT6 Turbo Utility, but I can only get it to not get it to 3.6. I would like to get it to 4.0. I am ready to read, study to get the basics and then ask questions. I have looked at some links (you tube) others had done to their 950's on the same motherboard but I could not get it stable at 4.0 but I may not have caught everything they did. Also I have different memory and video card so would expect results certainly to vary. I only ever messed with the Base Clock QPI and one or two other settings. So where should I start ?

System

i7-950

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL

CORSAIR 120GB SSD (Boot Disk)

Seagate 2TB XT

ZOTAC AMP! ZT-40403-10P GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

CORSAIR 600T Case

Hauppauge 2250 TV Tuner Card

CORSAIR HX650W PS

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional

Displays - Viewsonic VSX2235 & Samsung SyncMaster P2770FH

Also will OC'ing my CPU mess up my TV tuner card and Video Card for dipsly or playback ?

Welcome to OCC my friend! :thumbsup:

Here is a great i7 overclocking guide which will allow to you get the basics of what goes on while you overclock and how you can overclock your chip to it's full potential.

OCing your BCLK will affect a host of settings and may affect the speed of your hardware in any PCI/PCIe slots.

Hope that was helpful :)

Welcome to OCC my friend! :thumbsup:

Here is a great i7 overclocking guide which will allow to you get the basics of what goes on while you overclock and how you can overclock your chip to it's full potential.

OCing your BCLK will affect a host of settings and may affect the speed of your hardware in any PCI/PCIe slots.

Hope that was helpful :)

Thanks. Going to check it out.

You better overclock or I'll second guess my nomination of you being "Most Helpful Member" :evilgrin:

What has that got to do with being helpful? :teehee: Ahh peer pressure - got to love it :lol:

Btw I can remove you from my "Funniest member" nomination too - so you watch yourself there mate :P

Edited by Alexandre

What has that got to do with being helpful? :teehee: Ahh peer pressure - got to love it :lol:

Btw I can remove you from my "Funniest member" nomination too - so you watch yourself there mate :P

Nah my selections I've made so far are pretty set in stone, aka I was joking, aka LOL, aka still the Funniest Membuh :teehee:

We should have a competition, see if the underdog (920) can smash the more attractive middle brother (930) :evilgrin:

Nah my selections I've made so far are pretty set in stone, aka I was joking, aka LOL, aka still the Funniest Membuh :teehee:

We should have a competition, see if the underdog (920) can smash the more attractive middle brother (930) :evilgrin:

Haha that is true about being funny :lol:

Hmm that would be an interesting competition - but not now my friend - though it is tempting...

Over the past few nights I have been reading and began following the guide to overclock my 870. I have been cautious and followed it closely. It definitely takes patience and I have been tempted to skip a few increments on the bclk , but did not and follwed the guide. I have the i7-870 OC's to 3.6 on Air with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+. It is stable at a bclk of 180, cpu ratio at 20, the memory multiplier is at 8x. I did have to up the Vcore at 1.24 and the Ram voltage at 1.64 Is this a decent OC for a first timer ? I would like to get it to 4.0, but I think I will study some more and check out what some others have done. By the way under Intel Burnin Test for 1 hours at 100% load the processor maxed out at 69c. At idle she is at 31c.