Have the time, why not push the OC?

Guest_Jim_*

I'm getting bored and have been using my current overclock for months now, so I feel like changing it. The build is given in the sig. I'm thinking I'm limited to just the multiplier on the CPU as the MB doesn't seem like ocing the RAM much (I can't set the frequency to 800MHz or it won't boot, might not even POST, been awhile since I tried tough). I've got the vcore at 1.40, I believe (at work right now), and never actually turned off Cool n Quiet and C1E in the BIOS. Probably should as I've heard it doesn't help with overclocking, and with the CPU folding 24/7, there's never a time for those to enable. The fourth core is stable, so I'd rather keep it going than re-disable it just for a higher frequency.

I think that's everything you'll ask for before offering advice, save one. I haven't updated the BIOS since I built the thing in November 2009. If you think that could help, I'll do it.

Of course, if you need more info, please ask. The main reason I want advice is that at this point I think I'd have to start playing with the voltage which worries me a little bit as I haven't touched it much (I only tried to make it a set value instead of the auto setting, nothing more). I could also mess with the timings on the RAM, but I'm not sure which ones are best to touch.

Pretty simple with the black edition CPUs. Just raise some multiplier, raise some voltage, raise some NB-Freq and voltage for that, check temps and you're good to go.

You can update the BIOS if you want to. The only way to know if it's needed or not is to check what the latest one has to offer and decide if there's something you think will help your stability or whatnot.

I updated the BIOS as "System Stability" and "System Stability when Overclocking" where listed as fixes for versions between the newest and what I had, so why not? I've put back the old OC and will play around with it more tomorrow. Probably I will first see if it'll allow 800MHz for the RAM's bass speed, something it wouldn't let me do before. Hopefully now.

FINALLY! The BIOS update must have done it (either with a fix or just reflashing) but now I can actually have it running the RAM with a base speed of 800MHz.

Now I just need to test it to make sure it's stable there, and try bringing the HT speed up.

Well, I'm still trying to lock in on the best overclock, but it's looking like 16.5x200 on the CPU and the RAM at it's speced 1600MHz. Every time I've tried having the HT speed at 210 and above, I get errors. I could maybe try something between 200 and 210, but since this will still be a better OC than before, I'm not going to bother. Was 3.41GHz on CPU and 1466 MHz on RAM now, assuming it'll stick, 3.5GHz on the CPU and 1600MHz on the RAM. Will update the sig as soon as I'm confident I won't have horrible errors.

So much for that 3.5GHz. Prime95 kept BSODing at that, so I pulled down the multiplier, sticking me at 3.4GHz. I haven't run a test long enough at actually make sure there aren't any errors, but I'm impatient :rolleyes: Since this is less of an overclock, compared to before, on the CPU and the RAM is running at what it was designed for, I doubt there will be any issues anyway. Still, I'm an impatient idiot, so what do I know?