Possible cooling issue with my 860 i7?

Paganister

I recently bought a Cooler Master 212 Hyper Plus for my CPU because I was getting around 80C under stock speeds on the stock cooler and thought that was rather high.

A few days ago I overclocked to 3.8ghz, and every time I seem to get ~80C + running Prime95 after 20 minutes, which seems to be unusual because I have been reading around and people seem to get less than this at around or more than this voltage. A few people said it's probably the limit of this cooler but I'm sure I've seen people get ~70C.

I'm just wondering if this is normal or not, or whether I haven't put thermal paste or sat the heatsink properly. I just used the thermal paste provided with it (the two line method for best spread, and filled in the copper pipe gaps with a credit card).

I have a Nine Hundred Two case, which means it has good case ventilation, and using a P7P55D Evo mobo.

Here's a screenshot:

6gc59.jpg

And I get around 37-40C idle.

Any suggestions here? I have bought 2 Yate Loon fans to put on the heatsink which should come in a few days but I don't think that is the issue.

Edited by Paganister

I recently bought a Cooler Master 212 Hyper Plus for my CPU because I was getting around 80C under stock speeds on the stock cooler and thought that was rather high.

A few days ago I overclocked to 3.8ghz, and every time I seem to get ~80C + running Prime95 after 20 minutes, which seems to be unusual because I have been reading around and people seem to get less than this at around or more than this voltage. A few people said it's probably the limit of this cooler but I'm sure I've seen people get ~70C.

I'm just wondering if this is normal or not, or whether I haven't put thermal paste or sat the heatsink properly. I just used the thermal paste provided with it (the two line method for best spread, and filled in the copper pipe gaps with a credit card).

I have a Nine Hundred Two case, which means it has good case ventilation, and using a P7P55D Evo mobo.

Here's a screenshot:

6gc59.jpg

And I get around 37-40C idle.

Any suggestions here? I have bought 2 Yate Loon fans to put on the heatsink which should come in a few days but I don't think that is the issue.

prime95 is pretty intense program but what is your cpu voltage

i had the hyper 212 plus and temps were a problem for me as well make sure the heat sink screws are tightened evenly and that it is level

i switched to the coolit ECO on my i7 870 oced to 3.8 and it idles at 35c and 70c load

Edited by jdm_freek

vCore is 1.31 and vtt is 1.26, so pretty low in comparison to some, which is why I'm thinking something is up.

I went into the case earlier and made sure all screws are at their tightest on the bracket, so I don't think that's an issue. I even tried turning all my case fans to max and it made like 1C difference (case sounds like it's shifting a LOT of air - louder than the CPU fan itself).

But I'll see what these Yate Loon fan combos do first before I consider re-applying thermal paste and resitting the whole thing.

Edited by Paganister

have you tried different thermal paste

Nope I haven't... didn't think about that. I used the paste provided, which maybe not very good.

What pastes do you recommend?

Edit: I quickly read some stuff and ordered Arctic Cooling MX-2... seems good enough!

Edited by Paganister