AMD Phenom 9850 w/ Thermaltake Meorb, Overheating?

I'm running an AMD Phenom 9850 x4, cooled by a Thermaltake MeOrb. I chose the MeOrb because I'm using an ATX Micro case, and it seemed the best choice. When the computer goes through start up it would heat up to 54C and then slowly cool down to 35C in idle. I ran some make shift test to see what it could handle. It handle games with high quality visual well, but then I ran Minecraft for less than a minute and it almost breached 60C. I made sure I had my OC off, but it still happened. I decided to return the CPU and ask for a replacement which is now on it's way, but I wanted to make sure that the MeOrb is powerful enough to handle it before re-mounting it all. Any ideas?

<br>I'm running an AMD Phenom 9850 x4, cooled by a Thermaltake MeOrb. I chose the MeOrb because I'm using an ATX Micro case, and it seemed the best choice. When the computer goes through start up it would heat up to 54C and then slowly cool down to 35C in idle. I ran some make shift test to see what it could handle. It handle games with high quality visual well, but then I ran Minecraft for less than a minute and it almost breached 60C. I made sure I had my OC off, but it still happened. I decided to return the CPU and ask for a replacement which is now on it's way, but I wanted to make sure that the MeOrb is powerful enough to handle it before re-mounting it all. Any ideas?<br>
<br><br>Don't first gen Phenoms have the Cold Bug thing so very limited temps and huge increase i temp with lil overclock.

<br><br>Don't first gen Phenoms have the Cold Bug thing so very limited temps and huge increase i temp with lil overclock.

the the cold bugs affect the chip only when your using EXTREME cooling solutions like liquid nitrogen not an air cooler lol. Yes the 9850 is a hot chip I had a 9950 for a while. However, that said you can still O.C them with a good cooler. I couldn't see if that cooler even works on am2 but if it does it looks pretty small. I would reapply the thermal paste when you get the new chip and run some stress tests any temps over 60C and the tests should be aborted and you will need a better cooler. I still overclocked my 9950 to 3.2 with a sunbeam core contact cooler and my temps never passed 60. So its not like theres no overclocking headroom its just these are older quads and need a nice heatsink to push them

Edited by usaweapon777

• 2 weeks later...