No Sound

Drukqs

First off, I can't play music files (mp3/midi/streaming) but when I do alt-ctrl-del and end a task, when the message pops up and asks me if i really want to end it, I get a sound. I'm using WinXP, with onboard sound. This has happened before, but I reformatted and a few days later it started happening again. Also, I have another pc and was using that for a while to see what the problem was and I installed Winamp5 and one day i got an error like before and my sound was gone. On this comp it shows in device manager that all is fine, but when I go to sound properties in control panel, it shows that I have no soundcard. My soundcard emits sounds, because of the pop-up message that I get (which I just did). Its a 'Realtek AC'97 audio' onboard soundcard. I tried to play music in windows media player/musicmatch and get the errors: WinMedia; when i click on a file, it cycles through all of them real fast, then gives me "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly." And musicmatch says something about not being able to play file, which it could a few days before just fine (mp3). Any help on solving this annoying problem would be very appreciated. My specs: Windows XP sp 1/ Realtek AC'97 onboard sound/ geforce4 mx 420 (prolly doesn't help any)/ 2.6ghz p4/ 512ram/ 98gb of free space. The comp is only about 6 moths old also so I don't think the drivers would be outdated or anything, but I dunno, i'm not the expert here.

Edit: Also it seems my cd-roms autoplay isn't working anymore... could it be because I open .cfg files with notepad? Thats just about the only thing I can think of that I did to this comp and my other that may possibly contribute to the problem.

Edited by Drukqs

Did you try any other programs, I may have missed something but from what I understand at 1:13AM, you only tried Windows Media Player? Also, it may sound obvious, but check the volume bar in windows media player OR next to that volume bar, there is a button with a picture of a speaker (Mute button): click that, That's all i can think of at this time...