1st post, 2nd build ever.

Guest OverclockNoob

Guest OverclockNoob

Hello 1st post on here, I've been lurking for a few days around the web trying to get schooled on the new techs. :)

I'm current running a Athlon x2 3800+ (non oc'ed but was for a while) 9800gt, on a Abit Mobo (I think it was called th7 or something :P can't rem), random generic 7200 rpm HD after my raptor died. It was a good system 3 years ago, and has served me well, but it is time to retire this beast. I'm a noob OC'er and like to keep things simple. That is why I got so excited reading about sandy bridge, it sounds like all it will take to oc this is a bios tweak or 2?

I'm currently looking at buying the following after almost buying a 950 1366 piece the day before Sandy Bridge. :P

SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW Matte black 0.8mm Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K (hoping for 4.3-4.5 with this cooler, with easy bios oc?)

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) x2 (In raid 0. I do realize that new sandforce controller is coming soon, but i'll wait for it to mature I think.)

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (overclocking done for me)

8GB 2133MHz DDR3 (CL9-11-9-27) DIMM @ 1.65v (Kit of 4) XMP with fan, KHX2133C9AD3T1FK4/8GX (hoping for simple bios oc to 2133? :))

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM (install drive)

LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner with Blu-ray 3D feature SATA Model iHBS112 - OEM (burning drive)

Samsung P2450H 24" 1920X1080 2ms RoseBlack

Nippon Labs Premium 6 ft. HDMI to mini HDMI cable with metal hood & gold-plated connectors Model MHDMI-6

Nippon Labs 19.7" SATA III Flat Cable with Left Angle Model SATA3L-0.5M

Question: When I hook up HDMI from the video card to my AV receiver (Onkyo TX-NR3008 3-D Ready 9.2 Channel Network Receiver) will it broadcast sound through my video card from the Mobo sound chip? I know the sound won't be stellar and am planning on adding a zonar card later, but just curious.

Ty and love the forums.

Welcome to OCC! Thats a decent looking build there... best of luck with the build!

Good luck getting the memory at the proper speeds! If i were you, id try it somewhere in the 1800-1900 area and see if you cant make any dramatic difference in the timings, 2133 @ 9-11-9-27 is good, but 1850 @ 7-9-7-21(or whatever the tightest you can get, just giving an example) would be better i think.

How high do you plan on OC'in that new i7?

Looks good. Welcome. Something you might want to know about over-clocking those chips. They are 'easy to overclock when you know what you are doing, now i have not played with them myself :cry: but the reviews i have read state they are easy to oc, but you have to remember all these reviewers are experts. (or at least quite experienced.) So what they call easy may be slightly more involved for you.

Good luck with that build and post pics when you are done. :thumbsup:

Guest OverclockNoob

Welcome to OCC! Thats a decent looking build there... best of luck with the build!

Good luck getting the memory at the proper speeds! If i were you, id try it somewhere in the 1800-1900 area and see if you cant make any dramatic difference in the timings, 2133 @ 9-11-9-27 is good, but 1850 @ 7-9-7-21(or whatever the tightest you can get, just giving an example) would be better i think.

How high do you plan on OC'in that new i7?

was hoping for modest but cool and safe OC of 4.3-4.5

and ty for the memory thing, im hoping it will run out of the box though because I read that memory is the only xmp intel certified memory that they tested on that pro mobo for out of the box OC to 2133. I don't know much about memory timing adjustment and am looking for a safe overclock that I dont have to tweak/test too much. :)

Hello and welcome to OCC mate! :thumbsup:

That's a nice system your building. Compared to your previous computer this new system will have you laughing.

Wish I had the money to upgrade to the Sandy Bridge CPU's because they preform quite awesomely.

Btw good choice on your PSU - can't go wrong with Corsair :)

was hoping for modest but cool and safe OC of 4.3-4.5

and ty for the memory thing, im hoping it will run out of the box though because I read that memory is the only xmp intel certified memory that they tested on that pro mobo for out of the box OC to 2133. I don't know much about memory timing adjustment and am looking for a safe overclock that I dont have to tweak/test too much. :)

Haha... Well mabye Sandy Bridge is a whole different mess, and i dont wanna scare you, but ill be honest... rarely is any significant overclock easy, and they pretty much all require a hefty amount of testing/tweaking to make perfect. The bonus part is, overclocking is fun, you will find your self testing and tweaking even when you dont need to because you just cant stop yourself. I was quite happy when i got 4.2Ghz stable on my i7-930, and see as how my original goal was only 4.0Ghz, getting 4.2 was above my expectations, but sure enough i didnt stop at 4.2, ive gotten 4.4Ghz stable now as well, soon ill be going for 4.5Ghz, lololol.

Memory is actually quite easy to adjust, its just difficult to get it stable. The best advice i can give you is... run your memory at stock timings and only like 1300-1600mhz speed while your overclock your CPU... once you get your cpu rock solid stable at 4.3-4.5ghz like you want, THEN start in on that memory and get it as fast as you can. The reason i recommend running at slower speeds and tighter timings is, timings net you more speed overall, I can link you some testing i did on 3Dmark11 using different speeds and timings giving me MASSIVE increases(or decreases) in score. Ultimately, going for the tightest timings with whatever speed those timings ran stable at, gave the best performance. If i think about it, ill come back and post a link to my post, you might find it interesting!