Haf 932 - WC setup checkup

Hey all. Didn't know anything about water cooling but spent some time reading up today and after seeing a few peoples setups I've come up with a list of parts: (Case is Haf932)

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fittings

Swiftech MCR320 Quiet Power Triple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black G1/4 Threaded

Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 1/2IN Barbs

Swiftech APOGEE XT LGA1366 CPU Water Block G1/4 Chrome HI-FLOW 1/2IN Eurostyle Barb Fittings

Swiftech APOGEE XT Hold Down Adapter Plate for Mounting On LGA771/AM2/AM3

Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Green 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10 Feet)

Anyone have any changes they would make? Any preference on tubing? I wanted it to light up uv green, didn't know whether it's better to go with clear tubing and some sort of dye in the coolant or what.

Also, am I ok with just distilled water in this setup?

Any help / input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything looks pretty good. It's generally not a good idea to use dyes, and distilled water is perfectly fine. It's what most people use around here, anyway. Premixed coolants are kinda a waste of money, since they don't perform any better than distilled water.

Get some PT Nuke for a biocide, too

Edited by iskout

If you use dyes, coolants, or additives, then you will have a much tougher time when you have to flush your loop. It is recommended to flush a water cooling setup every 6 months to a year. I also recommend going with distilled water and PT Nuke (biocide) and then colored tubing. This will make things much easier than trying to clean out a radiator if you use anything else ;)

If you use dyes, coolants, or additives, then you will have a much tougher time when you have to flush your loop. It is recommended to flush a water cooling setup every 6 months to a year. I also recommend going with distilled water and PT Nuke (biocide) and then colored tubing. This will make things much easier than trying to clean out a radiator if you use anything else ;)

agreed.

thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna go ahead and order this up this week.

Probably get my distilled water from walmart or something.

How's the difficulty on the setup? I'm generally pretty mechanically inclined just never attemped a wc setup

Make sure you use hose clamps on all fittings!

Also - what fans are you using? I'd suggest running them pulling air into the case through the top. I have mine set up that way and it dropped temps significantly versus exhausting air out the top. :)

Edited by Waco

Just regular hose clamps from any hardware store ? Home depot etc?

Also why exhausting? I haven't really researched this too much.

Currently my case is a haf-932 so I have the big intake fan at the front, along with an exhaust at the back, and the fans at the top are currently exhausting air as well.

Is it the normal to be intaking from the top with these wc setups?

Thanks

P.S. I assume using 3 120mm fans would be fine for the rad?

Edited by canusaybimmy

you can also use zip ties instead of hose clamps. hose clamps are obviously better, but zip ties are CHEAP.

you shouldn't have a problem with that case, i stuffed a similar setup into an antec 300. now that was a pain and i still haven't figured out a way to mount my reservoir inside.

yeha man I have a haf 932, and just did my watercooling setup, got the apogee xt, liang 5 pump 1/2 barbs, thermochill ta 120.3, and ek multiploitan pump, with 10 ft of 1/2 ID , 3/4 OD tygon tubing, and man. I had to mount the RAD on top of the case, cause I put 5 fans on the rad in a push pull (slightly hanging off the back do allow the barbs to go into the case.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/pitbull3_2006/IMG_0496.jpg

not yet done, frozencpu sent me the wrong fittings for my RES!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Pitbull3

yeha man I have a haf 932, and just did my watercooling setup, got the apogee xt, liang 5 pump 1/2 barbs, thermochill ta 120.3, and ek multiploitan pump, with 10 ft of 1/2 ID , 3/4 OD tygon tubing, and man. I had to mount the RAD on top of the case, cause I put 5 fans on the rad in a push pull (slightly hanging off the back do allow the barbs to go into the case.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/pitbull3_2006/IMG_0496.jpg

not yet done, frozencpu sent me the wrong fittings for my RES!!!!!!!!!!

Nice setup man!