Help OC'n i3-540 & Gskill DDR3-1600

Hi all, I'm new to overclocking intel chips through the bios and have always had AMD chips. I'm trying to get my RAM to run DDR3-1600 speeds.

Mobo: Biostar TH55 HD

Memory: Gskill 4G (2x2G) DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24

CPU: i3-540 (133x23)

In the bios I can't figure out the settings. This is what I have set for 1600 speeds for the Memory and it doesn't boot.

CPU RATIO = 20

BCLK = 160

QPI = Auto

DRAM frq = 1600

Timings:

tCL=9

tRCD=9

tRP=9

tRAS=24

tWR=10

tWTR=5

tRTP=5

tRFC=40

tFAW=20

CR=2T

DRAM read latency = Auto

DRAM Write Latency = Auto

Intel Speedstep = Disabled

C1E Support = Disabled

Intel Virtualization = Disabled

Voltages:

Vcore = Auto

VTT = 1.21

PLL = Auto

DRAM = 1.645

PCH = 1.10

IGD = Auto

I also need to understand the FSB:Ratio's. I'm assuming to go 1:1 I set the DRAM Freq to 1600 for 1:1 (options are AUTO, 960, 1280, 1600)

Anyone toss out some opinions? I can run the software OC utility and it puts the CPU around 3500mhz. I think I don't understand the FSB ratio or QPI stuff.

Take cpu vcore off of "Auto" and manually set to 1.275v

Manually set VTT to 1.25v

Regarding specific settings for the memory timings - manually set the four primary timings (i.e. 9-9-9-24) and put every other memory setting on Auto.

Edited by wevsspot

Take cpu vcore off of "Auto" and manually set to 1.275v

Manually set VTT to 1.25v

Regarding specific settings for the memory timings - manually set the four primary timings (i.e. 9-9-9-24) and put every other memory setting on Auto.

thanks for the feedback. I'm currently hitting high temps of 62c under prime95. I've found a good stable point without pushing up the voltages too much. I believe the VTT is currently at 1.2, would you recommend to increase the volts more or only until there is instability?

Doesn't the VTT increase CPU heat and if so, how would you tell if the VTT voltage is too low versus possibly the CPU voltage or RAM voltage being the problem?

post-15322-12947097543701_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't push VTT or any other voltage past the point required for 24/7 stability at the O/C you're aiming to get. If the rig is toaster stable at 1.2v VTT then I'd leave it there. Yes, increasing VTT also increases CPU heat. There isn't any magic formula for figuring out what your VTT should be. It's pretty much all trial and error - although Intel says that anything above 1.35v "may" damage the processor.

Edited by wevsspot

thanks for the feedback. I'm currently hitting high temps of 62c under prime95. I've found a good stable point without pushing up the voltages too much. I believe the VTT is currently at 1.2, would you recommend to increase the volts more or only until there is instability?

Doesn't the VTT increase CPU heat and if so, how would you tell if the VTT voltage is too low versus possibly the CPU voltage or RAM voltage being the problem?

While 62c is very hot for a AMD Processor core. Its quite fine for a current gen Intel Processor core... As a generally excepted 24/7 max core temp i think its 72-75c. Of course thats just to give best lifespan. They arent unsafe until they get 100c i believe. It could be slightly different for the 32nm clarkdales. But for the 45nm lynnfield and bloomfield, there isnt anything to worry about until you hit 90c for an extended period of time, or 100c for any reason is pretty bad. So doing some "extreme" benching and hitting 85c for a short period of time really isnt even a problem.

Also dont forget, running you ram at anything above 1333mhz is techinically overclocking the internal memory controller. So thats also going to increase the heat of your CPU.

• 3 years later...
Back from the dead with a new situation.  Specs are all the same, I tried adding 2x4GB sticks with identical settings as original memory (9-9-9-24 2N) and cannot for the life of me get this system to boot.
It's been so long since I messed with overclocking I can't remember what to do or how to problem solve.  The system is even acting weird with one stick or the 2 new sticks in the dual channel slots.

I bought 2 more sticks of Gskill memory to fill the remaining 2 slots on the board and I get a blue screen immediately after the "Starting Windows" screen.  I've reset bios, tried playing with settings and still can't get it to boot.

Biostar TH55B HD mobo (LGA 1156)
i3-540
2x2GB Gskill DDR3 1600
2x4GB Gskill DDR3 1600 (new)

Any help would be appreciated to start.  I feel like a rookie after all this time, I'm desperate :(

New RAM (added to ^) = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Edited by tytlyf