Case Fan vs HS Fan

bill1clinton

Hi Guys,

I have an exhaust case fan 49 CFM right behind my TRUE 120 (push/pull 63 CFM) and my question is should that case fan be as strong or stronger in terms of CFMs? As well, I am getting this weird whining noise from my case that I can not isolate. I suspect it may be my fan set up. Here is my setup right now:

Front Bottom: 63 CFM Intake

Rear: 49 CFM outtake

Rear Top: 2 x 49 CFM outtake

HS: push/pull 63 CFM

Edited by bill1clinton

You have to remember on the fans that your heatsink is using that the heatsink itself is impeding the airflow so you are likely not gettting as much air movement as you thing. Try turning off the rear exhasut fan however and see if the whine goes away, you have more than enough air flow to cover the lose of the single case fan.

Take the drives out of the case and see if they whine while spinning. This will let you know if it's a drive defect, or just a product of the vibration touching the case. If it is because of contact with the case, you can try to find some rubber sound dampeners or suspend them in midair in some way.

suspend them in midair in some way.

An answer I would expect from the Sith, you would use the force to change a light bulb wouldn't you?

:P

I agree though, I had the same problem, I just needed to tighten the screws on my drive a little bit to stop the noise, but you should definitely remove it from the case and see if the noise persists, don't want to wait too long on the RMA process.

Stronger the better.

+1, if your CPU fan is pushing hot air at a faster rate than your case fan can expel it, then it will create some weird pressure pockets in the system, making the whole thing less efficient. You have the potential to push almost 150CFM out of the case, so it probably isn't hurting your overall cooling performance, but stronger fans never hurt anyone.