Need help finding a CPU cooler

alexonfyre

The Noctua, like the Megahalems, have clips for your fans. You can always adjust your fans to be "higher" off your motherboard to make room for your ramsinks. However, too much adjustment might hamper the heat dissipation. I had enough room with my Noctua NH-P14 using G.Skill Ripjaws without having to make an adjustment.

Theres 44mm clearance. I had to take of the top fins on my Corsair DOM GT Ram.

Theres 44mm clearance. I had to take of the top fins on my Corsair DOM GT Ram.

Yeah, I have the same RAM, Noctua suggests you do it that way.

Another question, from an airflow point of view, does it make sense to turn the rear exhaust around to become another intake, and then but the 120 exhausts out of the top of my case? It is likely to recycle air exhaust from the GPU, but would be a more desirable orientation for the cooler.

Yeah, I have the same RAM, Noctua suggests you do it that way.

Another question, from an airflow point of view, does it make sense to turn the rear exhaust around to become another intake, and then but the 120 exhausts out of the top of my case? It is likely to recycle air exhaust from the GPU, but would be a more desirable orientation for the cooler.

Usually most CPU coolers won't fit that way, but I don't think it's any better. For one, you'll be getting warmer air from your graphics card and chipset by pulling air up. I think the usual intake/exhaust works the best.

Usually most CPU coolers won't fit that way, but I don't think it's any better. For one, you'll be getting warmer air from your graphics card and chipset by pulling air up. I think the usual intake/exhaust works the best.

I think I am going to go with the NH-D14, from a price/performance/noise standpoint it seems like the best compromise of all three. If the fans bug me I will replace them with Scythe Gentle Typhoons in a couple of months.