Need help finding a CPU cooler

alexonfyre

Hey guys, I have been going around in circles for like three days trying to decide on an air CPU cooler.

My criteria are:

-Performance, I want to OC my i7-950 to 4-4.2GHz and keep the temps below 75, 80 MAX

-Noise, Lower than 40dba if possible

-Price, lowest price wins tie breaks, but not really an issue. Coming in around 80 w/ fans is preferable

-Looks, Pretty loose on this, but the Noctua NH-D14 fans look horrible. It was the only cooler I wanted, but I just couldn't deal with those fans.

So far I have narrowed it down to:

NH-D14

Megahalems

Zalman 9900 Max

If I got the Ven-X or Mega, I was looking at either putting 1 or 2 Scythe S-Flex fans on it, but I am not really well versed in fans, I just looked over a few tests I found on google and those looked like a good performance/quietness mix.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by alexonfyre

Depends on what your voltages are for your i7 950 getting to 4.0GHz - 4.2GHz. Using Prime95, at 4.37GHz using 1.3875v, my i7 950 reaches 72C max on push/pull 120.4 watercooling.

At 4.0GHz with 1.35v, you'll hit up to 77C with Megahalems and two Noctua NF-P12's in push/pull at 7v's.

At 4.0GHz with 1.35v, you'll hit up to 76C with the Noctua NH-D14 at 7v's.

I'd assume the Zalman 9900 Max would be around the same, but with more noise than either of those setups mentioned above. I won't know for sure until I get them as my prize for the OCC Christmas contest. :P

If noise isn't an issue, higher CFM fans might lower it 1-4C, but I don't think you'll get a max of 70C unless you can hit a stable 4.0GHz with 1.3v or lower.

Depends on what your voltages are for your i7 950 getting to 4.0GHz - 4.2GHz. Using Prime95, at 4.37GHz using 1.3875v, my i7 950 reaches 72C max on push/pull 120.4 watercooling.

At 4.0GHz with 1.35v, you'll hit up to 77C with Megahalems and two Noctua NF-P12's in push/pull at 7v's.

At 4.0GHz with 1.35v, you'll hit up to 76C with the Noctua NH-D14 at 7v's.

I'd assume the Zalman 9900 Max would be around the same, but with more noise than either of those setups mentioned above. I won't know for sure until I get them as my prize for the OCC Christmas contest. :P

If noise isn't an issue, higher CFM fans might lower it 1-4C, but I don't think you'll get a max of 70C unless you can hit a stable 4.0GHz with 1.3v or lower.

Yeah, 70C Max is too low, edited original post for that. I really want to get around 75 like yours. I was thinking a Ven-X could do it with two S-Flexs in push-pull. Possible?

I found the link that gave me that impression, this discussion with a few guys that had stable 4GHz at <1.3v: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655522

Edited by alexonfyre

Yup, the lower the vcore, the lower your temps will be... though your overclock may not be stable unless you get a great chip.

The Ven-X would be about on par with the other two choices, but not as quiet. Just make sure you read this about the Ven-X.

Also, your case's airflow also can contribute to lower CPU temps. Good intake fans (front, bottom, and side), and good outtake fans (rear and top) can get your CPU temps cooler. Same thing with good thermal compound.

Lol, I know people read that the Noctua fans "look" horrible, but they "perform" admirably. I always say... how often will you be looking inside your case? Having a silent AND cool computer is a godsend!

Yeah, I considered that, One option I didn't list was getting the noctua, then seeing if the look really bothered me that much. If it did, I could spray paint the fan cases black (or put black vibration damps on them) and the burgundy fan blades probably wouldn't bother me too much.

The other issue with the Noctua is having to take the top of the heatsinks off of my RAM, though I highly doubt this would hurt the cooling of the DIMMS at all, and the extra airflow from the cooler would more than compensate it.

And after seeing that link I have taken the Ven-X off of my short list. Accidentally putting too much pressure on it would be exactly the type of stupid mistake that I would make.

The Noctua, like the Megahalems, have clips for your fans. You can always adjust your fans to be "higher" off your motherboard to make room for your ramsinks. However, too much adjustment might hamper the heat dissipation. I had enough room with my Noctua NH-P14 using G.Skill Ripjaws without having to make an adjustment.

The Noctua, like the Megahalems, have clips for your fans. You can always adjust your fans to be "higher" off your motherboard to make room for your ramsinks. However, too much adjustment might hamper the heat dissipation. I had enough room with my Noctua NH-P14 using G.Skill Ripjaws without having to make an adjustment.

Haha, they actually have an FAQ on Noctua's website for my RAM specifically. You have to take the top comb off. I honestly don't think the top comb does much of anything, 1-2C tops, if that, and the 140mm fan will more than make up the difference there.

The NH-D14 is 80 bucks on Amazon right now, which is the best price I can find for it (frozen and newegg have it for like 85-90!)

Also, I have an 800d, so I can orient it vertically and use the back case fan blowing in and 3 top fans blowing out with the d14 "passive" (but not really.)

I have seen many people with this set up, but haven't seen any actual data on if it works the way it seems like it should.

If you don't mind waiting, I can sell you the prize I won from the OCC Christmas contest ($45 with shipping). I probably won't receive it until late January, though. I can test it out on my i7 950 and give you results. I was going to try it, anyway, I'm always curious to try out new stuff.

If you don't mind waiting, I can sell you the prize I won from the OCC Christmas contest ($45 with shipping). I probably won't receive it until late January, though. I can test it out on my i7 950 and give you results. I was going to try it, anyway, I'm always curious to try out new stuff.

Did you get the 9900LED or the 9900 Max from the contest?

Either way though, that cooler was at the bottom of the list if the other two weren't going to work out. I wouldn't mind buying it for that price, but I was looking to get a cooler by next week or so, so the end of january is a bit far.

Did you get the 9900LED or the 9900 Max from the contest?

Either way though, that cooler was at the bottom of the list if the other two weren't going to work out. I wouldn't mind buying it for that price, but I was looking to get a cooler by next week or so, so the end of january is a bit far.

Np, just throwing it out there. It's the 9900 Max.

I'm still figuring out what to do with it after testing it. I might sell it, build a new rig for my brother (won't be until late May), not sure, yet.

As for your choices, I'd stick with the Megahalems, they've been tried and true long before the Noctua NH-P14 came out.

Lol, I know people read that the Noctua fans "look" horrible, but they "perform" admirably. I always say... how often will you be looking inside your case? Having a silent AND cool computer is a godsend!

+1. The D14 is pretty ugly, but I cant argue with the results. Its a great cooler and its also very quiet. The Megahalems is also a great cooler especially when paired with Noctua NFP12 fans (theres that ugly again), but they work really well with it.